chapter thirty three. sleepless nights

the past.

Daphne sat on her bed, the moonlight glistening in through her window, it was her first semester at Brown, and she would be lying if she said being this far from home wasn't frightening

She thought about calling James, telling him to drive over to see her, the drive from Stanford would be a nightmare, they were practically on opposite sides of the country but he would know what it felt like, she had a feeling he would understand it better, after all, he was completely alone, at least she still had Conrad.

She picks up her phone to see who to call, she didn't want to wake up her sisters or bother Conrad even though he was just a room away, she didn't want to talk to Jeremiah, it would just be too weird and she doubted Jesper was still sober at this time of the night. She didn't mean to but she ends up calling Belly. She feels her pulse rise as she holds the phone to her ear, she felt that Belly had every right to be upset at her. She didn't do anything but somehow it was the weeks of nothing that would be worse because it would show that she didn't care. She hated that Belly might think she doesn't care.

"I didn't expect to hear from you." Belly's voice was somber, "I'm sorry I didn't call sooner." was all Daphne could manage to say. On their last night at the beach house, she promised Belly that nothing would change between them, in a way nothing did because when they were home, they never really spoke to one another.

"It's fine, I understand." Daphne held the phone away from her face, sighed to herself.

"Friends talk on the phone." she spoke eventually.

"Nothing weird about that." Belly mused.

Daphne found herself at a loss of words, she just wanted to hear Belly's voice. "Whoever said college was the best years of your life was full of shit." Daphne broke the silence, tapping her pen on her notebook. "It can't be that bad." she could hear the smile on Belly's face.

"It's somehow worse, I have a thousand word essay due tomorrow and I have four words down; I want my mommy." she could hear Belly's laughter on the other side of the phone, it was a sound she could get drunk on.

"And I thought my four hundred word paper on the industrial revolution was bad." Belly's words made Daphne get out of bed.

"I actually did a paper on that in high school, I still have it if you want some notes." she kept it with all her old papers, just in case she needed them one day.

"Shouldn't you be busy with your paper?" Belly asked on the other end. Daphne shrugged and she could've sworn Belly heard her.

"College is nothing if not sleepless nights, I can pull an all nighter." she had enough energy drinks to do so.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course, anything for you Belly."