chapter twenty three. your friend

When her car stopped in the middle of the road, it took a few seconds until Jeremiah's stopped next to them

When her car stopped in the middle of the road, it took a few seconds until Jeremiah's stopped next to them. Jesper seemed to jump out of the jeep before Jeremiah could even stop it. He pulled off his hoodie, covering Ash as he pulled it over her head.

"We have their clothes." Conrad said, looking at the girls who had a blanket to cover them.

"Are you guys were okay?" Jeremiah got out of the car and Daphne handed the girls their bag as she took one piece of the blanket and Ash took the other side.

"Nicole told me what happened." Conrad said as the girls started getting dressed. "It's fine." Mal shrugged it off. "I hope you told her to watch her back." Taylor had the opposite reaction. "If I see her, I'm doing awful things to her and you." Ash pinched Malia.

"And you." She tried to kick Conrad. "There's just been too much drama recently." Jesper said as he took the blanket from Ash and she went to pull on her shorts.

"Thank God, we're normal." Ash finished getting dressed and so did the others. They split up, Belly went with Jeremiah and the others went with Daphne and Conrad. The two drove away first and Daphne's stomach turned.

She got into the driver's seat, Taylor in the passenger with Jesper, Ash, Malia and Conrad got into the back.

"Crazy day," Daphne turned on the ignition. "It wouldn't have been if you let her go." Taylor retorted and Daphne wondered how this could be all her fault too.

"I'm sorry." Daphne felt the urge to apologize when her phone went off again. She didn't even check it when she answered.

Later that night Belly found Daphne out on the docks, pacing with the wind in her hair.

"Stop texting me. Bad things happen when you text me." She approached the girl and Daphne stopped. She paused as she put her hands behind her back.

"Daphne." Belly spoke and the older girl turned to her. She was shaking, even under the jacket she stole from her brother. "I know, I'm sorry." She spoke eventually, it felt like she waited a life time to speak.

"I feel like I keep doing the wrong thing when it comes to you and I know you're with Jer but I still wanna be your friend." Belly scoffed at the last part but Daphne could tell she was hurt, down to her core and it reflected in her eyes.

"I just— I don't wanna lose you." She let her hand slip into Belly's before the girl pulled away. "It's too late." And with that she walked away and Daphne watched.

"Belly." Daphne called once and the girl turned to her, eyes softening to the same extent as Daphne's words. "I have to tell you something."

Belly approached her carefully.

"My dad is coming tomorrow." She spoke, fidgeting with her rings. "He's free for the rest of the summer. He wants me to visit him in DC." Daphne thought back at the call in the car. He seemed genuine about spending time with her.

"I'm happy for you." Belly, no matter how upset at Daphne, would always celebrate Daphne's successes.

"But if you need a friend and you want me to stay." Daphne didn't finish her sentence, letting the words hang above them.

Belly didn't speak for a while, her mind spinning.

"I can't make that decision for you but this has never happened before so go. Let him be the dad you always wanted." Belly walked away before Daphne could confirm or deny and this time, she let the girl leave.