chapter thirty two. are you stupid?

Daphne spent the day on the beach while Conrad was out buying them food and arguing with his aunt

Daphne spent the day on the beach while Conrad was out buying them food and arguing with his aunt. When she eventually heads back home, she finds him in the living room, with a bowl of ice cream in one hand. "Wanted to bring you this." he hands it to her, she thanks him, throwing down a towel on the couch as she sits down, putting the bowl on the table.

"Aunt Julia still won't budge." Conrad sat down next to her, his head resting on her chest, unbothered by the fact that she was still wet from swimming. "I can go with you again, shed some tears." Daphne ran her fingers through his hair, still tired from them spending too much time playing poker with Conrad last night. Conrad didn't have time to respond.

"Are you stupid?" a voice rings through the house like a bullet. Daphne peeks an eye open as Conrad gets up. "Ash, welcome home." Conrad patted her head. "Are you stupid?" she repeated the question. How did she even find them?

"Jesper's aunt called his mum. You're lucky he answered because she asked why you two were getting drunk on the beach in the middle of the night?" that was a poor decision on their part. "Is this why you're here? To get wasted?" being yelled at by your younger sister felt like a new low, even for Daphne.

"Did you tell anyone else?" Conrad broke the fight before it could even start. He'd been around the two long enough to know how fast something could escalate between them. 

"Yes, they'll be here soon. Why are you here, you can't just want one last bash before it's all over."

"What?" Conrad asks and Ash paused, "What do you mean before it's all over?"

"Last week, I was at your house to get Jere when I heard a call between Adam and I think your Aunt Julia, she wants to sell the beach house."

"And you didn't think to tell anyone?"

"Because I figured he'd tell you himself, which he obviously did."

"No, he didn't. I had to find out from a fucking stranger instead of my father, or my aunt or even one of my closest fucking friend." Conrad didn't mean to yell and Daphne found herself between the two.

"I didn't want to intrude!"

"You're my fucking family, you can't intrude. You practically grew up in my house, I grew up with you."

"I know! We all grew up together and we all grew up in this house. That's why I couldn't tell you," Ash's voice seemed to break, Daphne didn't know it was possible for her to show any emotion.

"Then fight for it. Fight for us." Conrad was out of breath, "Fight for our home."

"Conrad, I know you're hopeful but I'm realistic. If your aunt wants to sell this house, we all know there's no stopping her." Ash reached to touch his hand. "But," she looked between Daphne and Conrad.

"This is our home and if there's a chance that we can assassinate your aunt to keep it, then I'll take it."