chapter fifteen. so romantic

While everyone else was in the kitchen making drinks, Daphne sat next to her father with a glass of diet coke talking about catching criminals with him, and she realised he loved hearing the sound of his own voice but that didn't bother her, it wa...

While everyone else was in the kitchen making drinks, Daphne sat next to her father with a glass of diet coke talking about catching criminals with him, and she realised he loved hearing the sound of his own voice but that didn't bother her, it was just nice being with him after they spent so much time apart.

That was her thing, she would be angry at Carlos while he wasn't there but the second she saw him, the second he would show her even the smallest amount of love, all that hate and anger would wash away. Only one other person could make all her shitty feelings wash away like that.

When everyone else started heading to the beach, she promised them she would join them and she did, after her dad finished his story about saving a ten year old girl, she smiled at him and walked away, a part of her didn't want to go but she wanted to have fun, loosen up and drink a little and she knew they were getting drunk on the beach, it was like a sixth sense.

When she got down to the beach, the only people who weren't there were Belly and Jeremiah. She sat down next to Conrad, waving softly at their friends and her siblings. She didn't want to be there, something inside her wanted to either be with her father or be alone, she enjoyed being alone sometimes. Especially when it felt like she was in a situation that she couldn't control.

"May I present, The Belly special!" Belly, in her tipsy state, falls into Daphne's lap, some of her drink spilling onto Daphne's white t-shirt. She apologizes profusely but Daphne doesn't care much.

Belly gets off her lap, distributing the drinks while Daphne tugs her shirt over her head, she was gonna go swimming later on so she wore a emerald green bikini top under her shirt, a bikini top her mom told her not to buy because of how revealing it was but she didn't see the problem with it, it covered everything but the top of her chest, her mom just loved being worried.

"This is actually good," Daphne sat back down, resting her head back, soaking in the summer sun. "You sound surprised," Belly does a little gasp, falling down on the inflatable unicorn they saved her. Her gaze is solely focused on the sleepy Daphne that's close to falling asleep on her beach chair when Conrad pours the rest of his drink over her.  

"Shit! I'm gonna be even more sticky now,"

"Just do it Baywatch style and run into the ocean or something,"

Her entire body felt icky when Daphne walked into the ocean, finally getting some solitude as she watched the group from afar. She wanted the water to carry her away, she was tired and thirsty but mostly just tired, something both the cold drink and the ocean helped with. She got out of the water when she saw Jeremiah drag Cam Cameron onto the beach. She liked Cam Cameron, but she also kinda never wanted to see him, ever.

She walked out of the water, sand sticking to the bottom of her flip flops as she looked at her seat that had been occupied by Cam Cameron. "Well, you won't have to sit cause we're playing a drinking game," Belly clapped her hands together like a giddy school girl and Daphne bit back a laugh.

They spend what feels like hours getting drunk on the beach, Daphne forgets about her exhaustion and drinks every glass Belly pours her but she can handle being drunk better than the younger girl so she doesn't mind it. When the drinking comes to an end, Daphne goes to take a shower while the other girls and Cam Cameron sit outside. She's still in her swimsuit, when someone opens the door. She jumps a little in fright. 

It's just Ash.

"I could kill Cam Cameron,"

"What the fuck?"

"No one would miss him,"

"Again, what the fuck?" She's still under the water as she stares at Ash, the girl really knows how to worry people. "I don't want to kill Belly's first love," the words were bitter in her mouth but they made Ash laugh. "Estúpida," she mumbled under her breath but loud enough for Daphne to catch it. "Esfuck off,"

"Adding es in front of English words doesn't make them Spanish, you would know that if you haven't been flunking Spanish since the fifth grade," Daphne was in no mood to be lectures right now, she wanted to be alone or to drown in the shower. "Yes, I know, I make my ethnic parents very sad with my choices, now leave,"

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🍒 ꒱

The grass is wet when Daphne throws the ball around with Conrad and Jeremiah. The game is fun until their dad tries to play with them and Conrad immediately shuts down, the fun draining from him.

"I have to go, fake excuse," she walks away, patting Jeremiah's shoulder as she walks away and Conrad follows her so they can dig some clam hole, Daphne doesn't know or care what that is but she goes along with them.

She watched as they dig the pit but Jeremiah brings his daddy issues into the mix and when he throws dirt at Conrad, some of it lands on Daphne. "If I have to take one more shower I'm going to drown myself," she gets up, wiping sand off her but as she starts walking away. When she walks down to this shower Belly calls her, with a weird nickname, "Sea creature," and she just waves at the drunk girl.

She heads into the shower and rinses off her chest and arms and basically every part of her. She hated being even a little dirty, she hates the feeling of being dirty, once in the third grade someone voted to be most likely to be a germaphobe which was weird cause what third grader can even spell germaphobe?

She's absorbing the silence when a voice calls out to her, "Oh sea creature," she tries not to laugh when a drunk Belly opens the shower door. "Everybody left but we still have margaritas to drink," she's holding two glasses, one for her and one for Daphne but she shakes her head.

"I'll drink later, when I get out of the shower," she pulls her lips into a straight line and tries to look away but Belly doesn't leave.

She just stands there, a small smile on her mouth. "I always liked you with wet hair, it's so romantic," Daphne turns to her, hair still in her hairs as she uses both hands fo brush it back. "What's so romantic about wet hair?" She leans back, standing against the wall as the water spills over her.

"You just don't get it," Belly starts drinking Daphne's drink too and it makes her laugh but she tries not to. "Can I ask you one thing?" Belly pokes Daphne's arm, twice but the other girl just brushes it off. "Go ahead," she smiles, taking her margarita from Belly. Her lipgloss has stuck on the glass when Daphne takes a sip, putting it down with the intention of throwing it out later but she doesn't tell Belly that.

"I found a necklace in your room, with an infinity symbol on top of a rather familiar book of sonnets by Emily Dickinson, my favourite poet. Did you buy those for me?" When Daphne says nothing, Belly gets her answer. "I knew it, I knew it," she repeats to herself as she walks away and Daphne lifts her head up to face the water so she might drown.