chapter ten. ball to the face

While taking one of her regular walks on the beach, Daphne bumps into the blonde girl she was with on the night of the bonfire, her name is Serenity

While taking one of her regular walks on the beach, Daphne bumps into the blonde girl she was with on the night of the bonfire, her name is Serenity. Daphne compliments her on it and when their walk on the hot sand eventually concludes, Serenity joins her on the walk home. They find everyone else minus Conrad in the pool, playing chicken. "Hey guys!" Serenity calls, her light brown skin shimmering in the sun. "This is Serenity, that's Jeremiah and Steven. Malia, James and Belly," Serenity waves at them. "Were you playing chicken?" She asks before anyone of them can respond.

"It was Taylor's idea," Belly points at the girl in the pool next to Steven. She sits awkwardly on Jeremiah's shoulder, watching Daphne and Serenity take their shoes off and sit at the end of the pool, splashing their feet and talking. The group starts playing water polo and Conrad finally comes back with Nicole. "I should probably go, don't want my parents to worry," Serenity starts making her way out the gate, bumping into Conrad on the way. Nicole snickers at the two.

"Did you sleep with her?" Daphne asks, noting the girl's haste departure after seeing him. He doesn't say anything, sitting down next to her. "Five times," Nicole sits on the other side of Daphne as she laughs.

"If she slept with you then why would she sleep with me? I'm so much better than you," Daphne lightly shoves him and her eyes lock with Malia's for a second. "I play football," her eyes meet Conrad's. "I'm fluent in French," Daphne throws her eyes back, the sun beaming on her. "Then grace us with some of you French!" Jeremiah yells from afar, clearly having eavesdropped on their conversation. "Aimez-vous le sexe? Sexe. Je veux dire, l'activité physique. Coït. Aimez-vous?" She smirks at Nicole and when Taylor throws the ball it hits her in the face.

"Ow," she calls and Taylor apologizes and so does Belly. "We should get some ice before you bruise," Daphne helps Nicole up and then kicks Conrad into the water. He comes up from the water, completely soaked. "I am sorry," Belly ignores Jeremiah and Steven who are actively trying to drown Conrad while James laughs in the corner with Malia and Taylor. "Feel better, okay?" Nicole assured Belly she'll be fine and Daphne tries to ignore the girl's gaze. "Come on, Belly. Daphne can take care of Nicole, let's go inside and look at ourselves in the mirror some more," Taylor speaks up from the back as Daphne throws her arm over Nicole. "You have fun with that," a sarcastic smile falls onto her mouth as she takes Nicole in, putting the ice pack on the girl's head.

"I told you I'm fine," Nicole smiles and Daphne removes the ice pack from her head. She pushes Nicole's braid out of the way, looking at the spot she got hit in. "I know, I just care about you. I don't want you to get a concussion or something," She pulls Nicole to her feet and when they head outside the room, they find her mom in the kitchen. "Hey, can you check her out? She got a ball to the face," Daphne giggles at her own wording. Nicole argues about it but Daphne makes her mom check, she seems fine but Daphne still walks her home.