Chapter 18: An Unexpected Surprise

After talking with Akira on the roof a few days after learning about the whole Fuutarou Uesugi quitting the job as their tutor, Miku was relieved and went back to their classroom with the same emotionless expression but deep down, she was ecstatic to hear that even though they're no anymore tutoring, she could still see him and hang out with him. Of course, the same goes for her sisters and even Fuutarou. 

But unfortunately for Fuutarou, he needs to earn money for his family and because of that, he has less time to enjoy with the Nakano sisters and Akira. Right now, he and Akira were waiting tables, toiling away in the afternoon. Having customers come and go from the shop, was a tiring experience for Fuutarou, both boys were in the backroom. Panting after a long afternoon. 

Akira took a deep breath and then exhaled. "Hah... So, Fuutarou. How was it?" He asked.

Fuutarou panted before answering his question with another question. "Do you guys honestly do this every single day?" 

"Not really," Akira answered. "It's because this is the middle of the month, that means. Aunt Emiko created a new recipe for the limited time, it's kind of a special here in the shop." 

"I see... So, does that mean I have a big bonus?" 

"Is money really all you think about?" He asked, sarcastically. "Yeah, you do have a bonus." 

"Really?!" Fuutarou practically jumped out, excitedly. 

"Yeah." 

An hour passed and it was time for closing, the boys finished changing already and instead of walking out, Fuutarou stayed with Akira who was waiting for Minami to finish changing. While Akira was busy with his phone, texting someone, Fuutarou on the other hand was thinking of how much he got from his bonus.

The door to the break/changing room opened and Minami was back in her school uniform. "Okay, done! Come on! Let's get our bonus!" 

"Sure, why not?" 

"Yeah!!" Fuutarou was fired up. 

~~

Fuutarou stood there, looking at the bonus that he was given. He had a deadpan look on his face as he looks at the bonus next to the actual pay he got. It was a huge cake-like treat, good for three people. While both Akira and Minami were excited about their share of the treat, Fuutarou on the other hand just grinned and bear it. 

" Well, this isn't bad either," He thought before smiling as he bows down at Emiko. "Thank you so much for the pay and this bonus, I'm sure my sister, Raiha, would love this." 

Emiko smiled. "That's nice to hear, Uesugi. I really am thankful that Akira brought you here, we really need the manpower, especially when it comes to the middle of the month. Well, I hope you and your sister will have a good evening together," She said. 

"Of course, thank you again." 

Emiko then turns her attention to Minami and Akira. "You two, could you please close up shop? I'm going to the back and get the car running." 

"Sure," The two of them said in unison. 

The four of them then leave the building and could see the snow covering the roads, they could even see their breaths. "Well, it is the 15, Christmas is coming..."

Minami looked around and noticed someone missing. "Hey, where's dad?" 

"Oh, Uncle Eiji went home two hours ago, he said that someone's going to live in our house for a whole school year." 

"Wait, really?! W-who?"

"I don't really know," Akira answered. "But we'll see them later, let's just close up."