Chapter 3

Damien watched the interaction between his father and Amelia from his seat at the bar. Although Damien had only recently connected with his father, he knew almost everyone in his tight knit circle, and that didn't include the young woman laughing at something he had said. Amelia was closer to his family than he had thought, and it became evident when his father placed a few large bills inside her hand and closed it inside his.

Amelia's laughter died in her throat when she realized what he had done. She tried to pull away, but he kept a firm grip on her. "Calvin, I can't accept this."

"You can," he insisted. Although they were no longer laughing, he was still smiling encouragingly at her. "Your mom told me that you were having a difficult time."

"I wish she wouldn't tell you things like that. I'm doing very well for myself."

"I don't doubt that for a second," he replied. "But please accept this as a gift for missing all those birthdays. Wes doesn't bring you around anymore, and after the divorce, it's been lonely."

She tried to smile, but it faltered as he released her. "Thank you, and I'm sorry about Harper. I should have come to see you."

"Don't be silly," he said, shaking his head dismissively. "We were unhappy for a long time."

"I never would have guessed."

"Parents tend to not burden their children with their marital problems. You were no exception."

The corners of her lips lifted, and this time, a smile successfully graced her face. "You and Harper never treated me any differently than Wes. I'll always appreciate that."

"I always considered you as part of our family," he told her. "Between the two of us, I was disappointed when he showed up to the house with Brooke a month ago and asked for his mother's ring."

Amelia looked down at the carpet and rolled her lips together, unsure how to respond to that information. Fortunately, Damien had abandoned his drink at the bar and appeared in front of them, saving her from an awkward conversation.

"There you are," he said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "You disappeared on me again."

Calvin raised a brow at his son. "You've met?"

Amelia nodded. She was uncomfortable with Damien's arm around her, but she didn't let it show. "He told me where I could find you."

"I'm glad he's looking out for you," Calvin told her, although he never moved his eyes off his son. "Anyway, dinner will be served soon. We should make our way over there."

"We'll be right there," she said, gesturing in the direction of the dining room. She waited until Calvin had disappeared into the next room to deeply exhale. "While I appreciate you stepping in, I didn't need you rescuing me."

Damien smiled. "I'm flattered that you think of me as so heroic, but I didn't do that for you."

She furrowed her brows, expressing her confusion. "Then why'd you come over here?"

Before he could answer, Wes cleared his throat. He was standing in the threshold of the living room and the hallway, examining the lack of distance between his brother and friend.

"Am I interrupting?" he asked no one in particular.

Amelia quickly shook her head and moved toward him. "We were just about to join everyone else at the table."

Wes hummed, unconvinced, but he let Amelia pass him and then approached his brother who hadn't moved yet from his position. "What are you doing?"

Damien shrugged. "I was just making conversation with your friend. Calvin loves her. You love her. I can see why."