Chapter 9

Damien found himself outside Amelia's office earlier than he had anticipated. To his surprise, she was already sitting on the bench outside, awaiting his arrival. She was reading a book when he pulled up along the curb and exited the vehicle. She didn't notice him until he cleared his throat.

Amelia looked up from her book and quickly shut it when she saw him. He stood over her with an extended hand, which she took to pull herself up.

"Damien," she greeted.

She was still wearing the same jacket and knitted top from this morning that was partially tucked into her black skirt, but there was a noticeable difference. When he realized that a particular piece of jewelry was missing, he scowled and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Where's your collar?" he demanded to know.

Amelia touched her bare neck and quietly gasped when she realized her mistake. She had forgotten to put her necklace on before leaving her office.

"It's here," she told him as she returned to the bench for her purse. She blindly dug inside and winced when she felt a diamond nick her finger. She tried to hide the pain as she removed it from her bag and presented it to him.

With a grunt, he took it from her and secured it around her neck. "I told you to keep it on. You'll be punished later for disobeying."

She swallowed hard. She didn't know how his gruff and husky voice could make her panties damp. "I'm sorry, Damien."

He didn't react to her meek apology. Instead, he took her hand in his and examined the small cut in her finger. It was bleeding. "Maybe I should get you a collar that won't hurt you."

She shook her head, despite the heavy stones around her neck. "I like this one."

He smirked. "My sweet girl likes diamonds?"

She didn't expect to blush. Embarrassed by her reaction, she bowed her head to hide her face, but Damien lifted it as he retrieved the pocket square from his breast pocket.

"A good dom always takes care of his sub," he explained as he wiped her finger with the small piece of fabric. "If he wants to keep you, he'll spoil you with gifts, his time, and his attention. He'll take care of you."

He kissed her finger and met her dark eyes. She immediately felt weak in the knees, and if his arm hadn't circled around her waist at that exact moment, she would have collapsed. As she held onto his arms for support, he tucked the pocket square away then and bowed his head, pressing his lips to her ear.

"Are you ready for your lesson now, Amelia?"

She shivered. He had said her name on multiple occasions, but feeling it vibrate against her skin made her react differently. "Yes, Damien."

Satisfied with her response, he walked her over to the vehicle and opened the passenger door for her. Once she was inside, she placed her bag in the backseat as he made his way to the driver side and then entered. He glanced at her and sat for a moment, waiting for regret to set in with her. But it didn't, so he pulled off.

Their destination wasn't far. Damien had already taken Amelia there before, so the route felt familiar to her as they navigated the busy city traffic. After a few quiet minutes on the road, he pulled up to Red Robyn's and parked the car in front of the restaurant.

Amelia tried to open the door, but Damien hastily reached over and pulled it shut. "Aren't we going inside?"

"You shouldn't be opening your own doors," he said, clicking his tongue. "That's not unique to subs. That's just for you to know."

He didn't wait for a response before exiting the vehicle. He walked around to her side and held a hand up to the valet to prevent him from approaching. Then he opened the passenger door and inhaled sharply when Amelia gazed up at him from over her lashes. He felt as though he was seeing her for the first time again, and he wanted to capture the image of her face and innocent smile in his memory forever.