Chapter 5

After a long meeting with Vaughn regarding her task this morning, Amelia returned to her office to find a box on her desk. It was wrapped in gold foil paper with a rose on top instead of the traditional bow. There was no sender listed on the box or even a card with a name, but when she opened it to find a new phone still encased inside its box, it was immediately telling who had left the gift.

Underneath the boxed device was a folded article of clothing made of red satin. As she lifted it out the box, it unraveled, revealing itself to be a dress. It was almost identical to the black dress she had worn to the dinner party and ruined it with wine.

She couldn't resist smiling as she held the dress up in front of her and studied her reflection in the glass window. She was still admiring the smooth satin when she heard a knock at the door. She turned to find Lily behind the glass, eagerly bouncing on her feet as she peered into the room.

"Come in," she said to Lily. She neatly folded the dress and placed it inside the box, concealing it from Lily, but she had already caught a glimpse of it and gasped.

"Does that have anything to do with the sexy stranger you ran into?"

Amelia wrinkled her nose. "Sexy?"

"You saw how fine that man is," Lily said, fanning herself with her hand. "He's taking you out to dinner, and you're hung up on Wes who's a six at most. How do you even know him?"

"I met him on Friday at the dinner party," Amelia explained. She didn't look at Lily, but she could feel her heavy gaze.

"Scandalous," Lily said, smirking. "Chasing Wes' friend is a bold move."

"Brother," she corrected. She had been so quiet that she wasn't sure Lily heard, but after a brief moment of silence, Lily's eyes widened, and her jaw dropped.

She reached across the desk to pick up the box and examined it. Taped inside the lid was a handwritten note addressed to Amelia that she hadn't noticed before.

"I can't apologize enough for this morning, but here's a start," Lily read out loud. She stuck her lip out and turned the note to Amelia. "With love, Damien Carter. How cute is that?"

"Very," Amelia responded nonchalantly. "I didn't even know his last name until now."

"I would have assumed he took daddy Anderson's last name." Lily looked at the small piece of paper again and grinned. "Do you think he was the product of a love affair?"

"I wouldn't know," Amelia answered. She didn't want to entertain the woman who stared pensively at the note, pondering her own question. "Shouldn't you be working on court reports?"

"Vaughn left for the day, so I'm taking advantage of that. Besides, I'd rather hear about the bestie's brother."

Amelia laughed and shook her head at the woman. "There's nothing to tell. He's a stranger to me."

"Who's taking you out tonight," Lily added. "He even bought you a dress. I think he wants you to wear it."

"I don't know if I'm up for it."

"Why not?"

Amelia didn't have an answer for her, so she shrugged, which only made Lily roll her eyes.

"I hope you aren't talking yourself out of this because it makes you slightly uncomfortable," Lily said. She picked up the dress and shoved it in Amelia's arms. "You're going to put this on and go to dinner with that man."

"I'm not doing that," Amelia told her with the roll of her eyes.

Lily looked down at her watch and then at Amelia who had stubbornly crossed her arms over her chest. "He's going to be here in ten minutes, and I expect you to greet him downstairs in this dress."