Chapter 7

"I heard a rumor that you were at Red Robyn's last night."

If Damien weren't so wrapped up in the new case file he received that morning, he would have been an active participant in Evelyn's conversation. But with his focus elsewhere, he was forced to listen instead as he studied the screen in front of him. He was sitting at the kitchen island while Evelyn was bent over the pool table in his living room. She had her cue stick drawn back in mid-shot, but she couldn't seem to find a good angle as she continued talking.

"And you may have brought a new plaything inside the Cave."

He hummed, acknowledging her, but he didn't respond.

This seemed to irk Evelyn because she huffed out a breath and then stood upright, glaring at him. "Damien, what are you hiding from me?"

He looked up at her from over his laptop and ruefully smiled. "I'm sorry, Evie. I'm just a little busy right now."

"No one is too busy to discuss playtime," she said, pouting. "You've been using that excuse the last six months."

"Well, it's true," he told her. He closed his laptop and then walked over to the fridge, rummaging through it for a water bottle. "Between the firm and my new contract with the PD's office, I'm tied up."

"Excuse me. I'm suddenly wet at the thought of Damien Carter being tied up."

He laughed. "I'm sure you'd love that—for me to give up my control."

"Come on," she said, throwing her head back in laughter. "It wouldn't kill you to loosen up sometimes. You discovered the switch in me, so I think I can pull it out of you, too."

"I also helped you discover your repressed sexuality and preference for women," he reminded her. He chugged from his bottle and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand before throwing the rest of the water inside the fridge.

Evelyn walked along the perimeter of the pool table, dragging her finger along the felt as she studied his impassive demeanor. "I think your new plaything has a thing for women, too."

Damien pulled his brows together. "What are you talking about?"

"Bella told me about the girl you brought into the Cave," she explained to him. "You've never denied your subs pleasure from other doms. She must be special if you're not willing to share."

He didn't offer a reaction as he returned to the island and began packing up his laptop. He couldn't because it was exactly what she wanted, and he refused to let her see him fall apart. "Are you done here? I have to go into the office today."

Evelyn rolled her eyes and placed the cue stick on the wall. "I've known you for years, Damien. I'd like to think that after everything we've been through, you trust me enough to tell me what's on your mind."

He smiled at her. She was right. Evelyn Monroe was the only submissive to remain a part of his life after terminating a sexual relationship. She had celebrated with him when he finished law school and encouraged him to cultivate a relationship with Wes and Calvin. She was his comfort when his mother passed away from a terminal illness. She knew everything about him, witnessed his most vulnerable moments, and remained solid throughout the years. He could never withhold information from her, as hard as he tried.

"What Bella told you is true," he admitted to his friend. "I did bring someone, but we were only at Red Robyn's for dinner. She saw Bella enter the Cave and asked me to show her, so I did."

Evelyn crossed her arms over her chest and lifted a brow. "That's it?"

"No," he said, looking down at the floor shamefully. "I may have provoked her."