Chapter 13

"I see that you took my advice and claimed your sub," Evelyn said to Damien before shoving her food into her mouth.

She had invited him over to read her latest manuscript. After a few hours of editing and scrapping unnecessary content, the two of them were finally sitting down together, conversing over dinner. Damien had been quiet since the start of dinner, and as Evelyn ate her food, he seemed distracted by the thoughts in his head.

She could sense his lack of interest in dinner, but instead of allowing the silence to take over the room, she continued speaking. "It was a good move. Amelia's cute."

Damien looked up from his plate with a raised brow. "How do you know her name?"

Evelyn lifted the corners of her lips and picked up her wine glass, swirling the liquid inside. "I know everything, Damien."

"Tell me," he demanded.

"Bella mentioned it," she said. She looked away from him, ashamed to have relented so easily. She was no longer his submissive, but too often, she found herself behaving as such.

Damien sat back in his chair and moved his gaze over her wide shameful eyes, red cheeks against her brown skin, and crimson lips that rolled together. He could sense her shame, but he didn't comment on it. He didn't want to further embarrass his friend, so instead, he remained on the topic of discussion.

"What did you and Bella talk about?" he asked.

Evelyn sheepishly smiled and lifted her head just the slightest to look at him. "Bella has expressed some interest in your sub. She wants to know if you'd consider sharing."

"Amelia would have to be the one to decide," he answered nonchalantly. "Unfortunately, I can't ask her."

"Why not?"

"We haven't spoken in a couple weeks."

Evelyn blinked hard, taken aback by the statement. "You're okay with that?"

"I guess so."

"You never allow a sub to be out of contact for this long," she said, pulling her brows together.

He pushed the food on his plate around with his fork and emitted a quiet sigh. "She technically isn't mine."

"She has your collar," Evelyn said with the roll of her eyes. "She's yours, Damien. You need to require constant communication and reciprocate it."

"We had an agreement," he stated. He was nonchalant, but she could hear the pain in his voice. "When her training is done, we're done. There are no other stipulations."

She frowned, displeased. "That worries me."

"Why?" he questioned.

"The last sub you trained without stipulations was me," she answered. She tried to reach for his hand over the table, but he pulled it back.

"That was years ago, Evie."

"And years ago, it was difficult to put an end to our arrangement," she reminded him. "Sex is dangerous if you do not create boundaries early on. You know this already."

"We were also young," he said.

"I'm sure she is too," she argued. "You're her dom, Damien. It's your job to take care of her, and you can't do that if you aren't calling."

"Since when did you care so much about my subs?"

"Since you decided to start playing again," she replied. "Women line up for a chance to be your sub, and you chose Amelia. She's far less experienced, so that has to mean something."