Chapter 20

As Amelia entered Demi, she spotted Wes sitting alone at a table set for five, hunched over his glass of complimentary wine, and staring blankly into the cup. His appearance had mildly changed since their last interaction. His twist outs were coming loose, and a few strands partially covered his eyes, but he seemed unbothered by them. His eyes, a stark and dark contrast from Damien's, closed as he lifted his drink to his lips and sipped from the glass.

"Don't tell me you're here to meet a taken man," a voice said in her ear.

Amelia didn't look at the man who had spoken. He was easily identified by his soft yet deep voice, and despite his teasing remark, she frowned.

"I am, unfortunately," she told him. "What are you doing here, Freddie?"

"The girl of my dreams never accepted my request for a formal date, so I figured I'd sulk at the bar," he answered. He was smirking, but it didn't change the look on Amelia's face.

"I'm really sorry," she said.

He shook his head, dismissing the apology. "Don't feel bad, Lia. I had a great time, regardless of the outcome."

"I did too," she admitted. She chewed on her lower lip and gazed up at him. "Where are you headed now?"

"I've gotta get back to my hotel to pack," he replied. "I'm flying back home tomorrow, but I'll be back soon. We should get together the next time I'm in town."

She nodded and tried to respond, but she was interrupted by the arm that snaked around her waist and the kiss in her hair. It was an instinctual reaction when she leaned into the familiar touch.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting, love," Damien said quietly into her ear.

"Not at all," she assured him. She apologetically smiled at Freddie and stood on her toes to wrap her arms around his shoulders. "It was nice seeing you again."

He was reluctant to part from her embrace, but he knew he had to when Damien narrowed his eyes challengingly. "You too, Lia."

Damien couldn't seem to tear his eyes away from Freddie as he walked to the front of the restaurant. Even when he exited through the doors, Damien continued to stare in that direction.

"Is there a problem?" Amelia asked, following his gaze.

"No," he swiftly answered.

With a smile on his face, he turned to her and moved his eyes over her body. She wore a white linen dress that conformed to her curves and the diamond choker he had gifted her. Her long, dark hair was tucked behind her ears and pinned out of her face, and her painted red lips were curled upward in the most graceful smile.

"You look beautiful," he complimented. He held her chin between his finger and thumb, stroking her softly.

"Thank you," she whispered. Her eyelids fluttered when he kissed her forehead. The affectionate act only lasted a moment, but she savored every second.

He took her hand into his as he parted and then walked her over to the table that Wes occupied. He could feel his brother's watchful gaze on him, but it immediately shifted when Wes noticed Amelia on the other side of Damien. Wes promptly stood up and shoved his hands inside his pockets, resisting the urge to reach for her.

"Lia, you're here," he said. His voice was airy, and his eyes were red, possibly from the drink he had been sipping.

She looked at Damien, as if to seek his permission to engage. When he nodded, she meekly smiled at Wes, but she didn't meet his gaze. "You don't mind, do you?"

He shook his head then gestured to the seat beside his. There was a red peacoat and a black handbag hanging over the back of the chair. Amelia instantly recognized the items as belonging to Brooke.