Chapter 12

There was an unknown number calling for the fourth time this week. When Amelia saw the familiar ten digits across her screen, she switched her phone to silent mode and pushed it to the other side of her desk, but moving it didn't stop the repeated vibrations. So, she picked up her phone again, and just as she attempted to silence it, the call ended.

Relieved, she placed it in front of her and turned her attention back to the computer monitor to continue her task. She couldn't get very far, however, because her phone began vibrating again. She quietly groaned when she saw the same number on her screen. She would have ignored the call again, but she had seen the number too many times and needed to put an end to the unwanted phone calls. With reluctance, Amelia answered the call and held the phone to her ear.

"Hello," she said into the receiver.

"Don't tell a man to call you if you're just going to ignore him."

Amelia smiled upon hearing the familiar voice in her ear and sat back in her chair. "Freddie, I didn't think you actually would."

"I missed out on my opportunity once," he told her. "I'm not doing it again. By the way, do you have plans for tonight?"

She checked the time on her monitor and shook her head, although he couldn't see her. "None that I'm aware of."

"Great," he said. "I'm here to pick you up for our date."

On cue, Freddie appeared behind Amelia's office door with a large bouquet of roses. She smiled at him through the glass and shook her head.

"How'd you know where I work?" she questioned him through the phone.

"Wes told me," he answered. "He owed me a favor, and it was either your work address or your home address."

"Once again, Wes puts me in an uncomfortable position," she murmured. The comment was mostly for herself, but it made Freddie laugh. "This is really weird, Freddie."

"Were the roses too much?" he asked, lifting the bouquet for her to see better through the glass. "Or is it weird that I showed up to your workplace?"

"The latter," she responded. Despite her answer, she was smiling. "And it's also weird that you're still out there talking to me on the phone."

He laughed and abruptly ended the call before entering her office. He couldn't resist the urge to look her over as she walked to him. Her pink sweater and black satin skirt conformed to her perfect hourglass figure, and her black stilettos clicked against the wood floor as she met him between the door and her desk. He greeted her with a side embrace and kissed her temple before handing her the bouquet of roses.

"I was beginning to think I had the wrong number," he said as they walked to her desk. He stood on the opposite side while she gathered her personal belongings. "I was going to give up after that last call."

"Then it's a good thing I answered."

Freddie stepped closer, but the desk remained a barrier between them. "Even if you hadn't, I still would have been here to ask you out. Will you join me?"

She looked down at her phone, as if that would provide her with an answer. There were no missed calls, text messages or notifications to indicate that she had other commitments to anyone or anything else. So, she threw her bag over her shoulder, gathered the bouquet in her arms, and then nodded her head.

"Okay, but this is not a date," she replied.

"Fine, not a date," he agreed.

With a grin on his face, Freddie walked over to the door and opened it for her. Once she had exited and locked the door, she led him down the hall and through the common work space that was still occupied by the attorneys inside their cubicles. As they passed through the lobby, Lily raised her eyebrows suggestively but only waved to Amelia on her way out the door.