Chapter 6

Amelia couldn't stop tugging at her jacket, as if doing so would make it longer somehow and cover her exposed legs. Damien only smiled each time she reached for the hem, but he had seen enough of her fidgeting when the car stopped in front of a restaurant. So, he took her hand and brought it into his lap. This surprised Amelia, but Damien didn't catch her wide eyes because he was looking at her jacket that had come undone during the ride.

"You look great," he complimented her.

She gasped when he pulled the jacket string loose, exposing the red dress underneath. "Damien—"

"Better," he said, grinning.

She blushed, and she sensed that he wanted to speak again, but the door opened, interrupting the conversation. Damien stepped out first and held Amelia's hand as she exited behind him. After thanking the driver, Damien moved his hand to the small of her back and walked her into the restaurant. The front was busy with patrons waiting to be seated, and Amelia found it difficult to maneuver through the crowd, but Damien moved effortlessly, pulling her along.

"Mr. Carter," the hostess greeted as they stepped up to the podium. Her red lipstick had bled through the fine lines of her mouth, and Amelia could tell she had been dabbing it throughout the night based on the red marks on her fingertips. "We've been waiting for you. I'll show you to your table."

Damien nodded and gestured for Amelia to walk ahead of him. She could feel him against her, keeping her close as they followed the hostess. As they navigated the dining area, Amelia caught a glimpse of a familiar face from across the restaurant. She recognized the dark features and sun kissed skin of the woman who accepted a red ribbon from the man standing outside the private dining room.

She placed the ribbon around her wrist and then entered the room. Amelia couldn't seem to tear her eyes away, not even when the woman shrugged off her coat, revealing only a pair of black lace panties underneath. The woman turned to look over her shoulder and smirked when their eyes met from across the room.

Embarrassed at having been caught, Amelia shifted her gaze to the floor. She was relieved when they finally arrived at their table and hastily took her seat, but she couldn't help herself from looking up one more time at the woman just as the door closed.

Damien followed her line of vision and chuckled, but he didn't say anything as he accepted the menu from the hostess and sat with Amelia.

"Your waiter will be with you shortly," she told them before turning on her heel.

Damien waited until they were alone at the table to speak. "What's on your mind, Amelia?"

She contemplated asking him about the room, but she decided against it. "I've been wondering all day about your meeting with Vaughn."

"You shouldn't waste your time doing that," he said as he looked over the menu. He had seen it many times before and knew exactly what he wanted, but he could tell that Amelia was uncomfortable with eye contact. "Vaughn and I went to law school together, and we were just catching up."

"Is that how you knew that I work for him?" she questioned.

"Your badge read Vaughn Morris Criminal Division," he replied. He glanced at her from over his lashes and smirked when she began fidgeting with her jacket again. "I noticed it when I bumped into you earlier. I have to admit, I'm surprised that someone like you could work for him."

She lifted her gaze to his and frowned. "Someone like me?"

"Someone so sweet," he said. Then he turned his attention back to the menu but only to close it before gesturing to the private dining room. "Now, what are you really thinking about?"