Chapter 28

Amelia couldn't remember falling asleep last night, but she awoke in Damien's bed wearing his t-shirt the following morning. Her eyes were still adjusting to the light in the room when Damien ascended the stairs from the upper level closet. He had a briefcase hanging off his shoulder and a tie in his hand. There was a faint smile on his face, but it faded when he saw the frown on Amelia's face.

"You have to work today," she stated, gesturing to the briefcase.

Damien abandoned his briefcase and tie on the bed and sighed. He didn't like hearing the disappointment in her voice. "Not exactly, but I do have to deal with an emergency."

"I thought we had plans."

"We still do," he assured her. He sat on the edge of the bed beside her and took her hand inside his. "Evelyn is on her way to pick you up. She'll keep you company until I'm finished."

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"Zoey picked up a new charge last night," he explained to her. "I'm going to post her bail and get her set up with an attorney from my office. She'll be staying here for a while if you're okay with that."

Amelia pulled her brows together. "It's your house, Damien."

"Which you now have complete access to," he added. "This is your place as much as it's mine."

She flinched and tried to pull her hand away, but he squeezed it, holding her tighter. It was small and delicate compared to his and sat perfectly inside the palm of his hand.

"There's a drawer in my closet with your clothes," he told her. "I have an extra toothbrush on my sink, and I've gone from sleeping on both sides of the bed to only one."

"So I've been spending nights," she said nonchalantly. "Things get left behind, but I can take them home."

"What if you didn't?"

She lifted her head, attempting to meet his gaze, but he didn't look at her. "What are you saying?"

"Maybe you don't take your things home," he replied. "And maybe you bring a few more things to keep."

To his surprise, she smiled and climbed into his lap, attacking him with a kiss on the lips. His arms immediately circled around her waist, pulling her with him as he fell onto his back. He chuckled as they collapsed together and unwillingly broke the kiss.

"Does this mean you'll be spending more nights with me?" he asked, gazing up at her with hopefulness in his eyes.

"Yes," she responded. "But what about Zoey? She's moving in, and I don't want to intrude."

"I don't anticipate her being around much." He pushed her hair out of her face and cupped her cheek in his hand. "You inspired me to give my sister another chance, but she's going to have to work for it."

"I inspired you?"

He nodded. "You gave your parents multiple chances even when they didn't deserve a second one. I want to practice kindness too."

"You're the kindest person I know." She pressed her lips against his, kissing him. When she felt his hands on her ass and his fingers moving underneath her panties, she parted with a smirk. "You better leave now or Zoey's never getting bailed out."

"Fine," he grumbled. He rolled her onto her back and kissed her once more, but the affectionate act only lasted a moment. "Evelyn will be here any minute, so get ready."

She watched as he walked to the foot of the bed to retrieve his briefcase and tie and bit into her lip. "Yes, sir."

His nose flared, but he couldn't look at her. Otherwise, he'd never leave. "And make sure you wear your collar today."