Friend-Zoned

I fell into a rhythm with Mari, getting up each day and going to work, unless I had a day off, that is, and coming home to him. It was something to look towards to at the end of a long day. I had adjusted, not very much, but a little, to the nightmares that lived in my house. 

It was fun to live with him. He made life interesting. It was normal for us to do things like rest our head on the other's shoulder- nothing too romantic, and it felt nice - but it made me question these things; we weren't technically dating, but we did a lot of things other couples did. We went to the park together, we watched movies together, and sometimes he even held my hand. He said good morning to me every day, and always gave me a hug when I came home from work. And he flirted with me quite often. But all this made me think- was this all just friendly? Was he just like this with anyone? I wished I could know the answer, but I wasn't sure how to ask him. Every time I thought about it, butterflies flew into my stomach. 

I liked him, that was for sure. Evey time he looked at me a little longer than normal, my heart beat fast, and every time he flirted with me, my breath hitched in my throat. How long had he been around? Weeks? Months? It felt like forever...

Mari seemed comfortable enough with the way things were going, but I felt a tad impatient and frustrated. Did he like me or not? Were we something or not?

I was snapped out of my deep thoughts by another customer coming up for an order at the cafe. I always tended to think about stuff like that when the work got too monotonous. 

The customer was an old man, with a dense beard and a plaid shirt tucked into his belt. he had smudges of dirt around the cuffs of his pants, and what he was doing at a coffee shop, I didn't know. 

"Hey, uh, young lady, could ya get me some..." He looked down at a piece of paper in his hand.  "Could I have a... Black coffee with cream and extra sugar?" 

"Uh, sure! Coming right up!" I said, trying to sound as upbeat as my co-worker. Though he was dirty and looked like he had never ordered coffee in a shop like this in his life, he was very friendly- he explained that it was for his daughter, who had a couple of kids of her own. He seemed very proud of his grandkids, and I found myself interested in his life. After I gave him his coffee, he thanked me and said goodbye, as did I. 

"Well, he was nice!" Said Axel, always the bright, positive ball of energy he was. 

"Yeah. He was really nice." I smiled. It wasn't every day that I got to meet someone like him. I glanced up at the clock. "Oh, it's time for me to go," I told my partner, and he nodded his head in acknowledgement. I only worked a half-day today, which had me looking forward to spending the rest of the day with Mari. "Have a good day!" Axel beamed at me, slapping me on the back in what was meant to be a friendly way put tipped me off balance a little. 

I folded up my apron and started the walk home. The weather was rather cloudy, making it seem darker than it should be at midday. Suddenly, I heard something- as I passed an alleyway I heard a yell, and I looked over to see a bunch of boys, about 18 or so, beating up the same old man I had served earlier, and demanding that he give them money. The coffee was spilled over on the concrete, and the old man himself was laying on the ground as they kicked him. I stared in horror, frozen for a second at the sight- what did I do, how could I help? There were more of them than there were of me, and the old man couldn't help me- but could I really stand here and do nothing? Trembling, I rummaged in my pockets for anything I could find, and pulled out a pen. Then, as hard as I could, I threw it at one of the boys, hitting him straight in the forehead. He yelled in pain and whirled around to see who had done it, and I ducked behind a car parked on the side of the road.  

I kneeled down slightly, covering my mouth as if they could hear my breath. My heart was racing. I heard a growl, and then- my blood froze. I heard a distinct metal click of a gun, and footsteps, coming nearer. Suddenly, I heard a noise that sounded like people smacking into each other, and then a yell, and the sound of people running. I froze there, unsure of what was happening. Suddenly, a head poked around the car to look at me, and I flinched before recognizing- "Mari?" 

He made a confused face, as this was the first time I had actually called him by that out loud, but brushed aside- he stepped out in front of me, reaching a hand out so I could get up. He pulled me to my feet and then stepped back, checking me over, his face full of worry. "Are you hurt anywhere? Did they hurt you?" 

"N-no, no, Mari, I'm fine..." 

He sighed, his anxiety leaving his face. He pulled me into a tight hug and kissed me on the head. My shakiness slowly subsided, and I hugged him back. 

"W-what happened, where are those guys, and how are you...?" I said, pulling back from the hug. 

"I- I um..." Suddenly he looked sheepish. " I may have... Followed you to work?"

 "You were... Following me? ...like a stalker?" 

"What's a stalker?" He said, giving me a blank, clueless look.

"Well, I..." I said, my brain trying to wrap around all of what was happening. "Um... I just... Instead of following me, could you just go with me or something?"

He gave me a bright smile. "Of course, love~!"

There it was, again! His stupid way of flirting with me, and it seemed like he meant it- but it was just so hard to tell! I wished I could just clear things up. But suddenly, I jolted. I had forgotten about the old man! How could I? Was he okay? Was he even alive?

I ran around the car to the old man, who was laying there, on the ground. Mari followed me with a partially curious, partially worried expression.

I ran up to the old man, and sank to my knees beside him, unsure of what to do- my hands were trembling as hovered them above him.

"(Name), he's dead."

I whipped my head up to Mari, staring with wide eyes. 

"W-what? But, but..!"

Mari gently helped me to my feet, but I stumbled, so he picked me up and carried me, my arms around his neck and my head resting on his shoulder. I stared blankly as Mari walked away with me, towards our house. Our house. Funny that I thought of it as that way. 

I pondered how the old man had died. I felt strangely... Okay with his death, now that Mari was holding me. He was carrying me as though I weighed nothing. I was still shivering slightly, and he was rubbing my back with one of his hands. He had probably died of shock. He was old, and that kind of abuse... I shuddered at the violent memory, Mari's spell on me breaking for a moment. 

He opened the door and sat down with me on the couch, still holding me gently. 

"Are you okay?"

[ ;) by the way, you can expect a confession coming up in the next few chapters! ]