Lights and Stars

It had been about a week or two since we'd confessed to each other. 

I had been working overtime, saving up for a new house, and after a lot of paperwork, had finally moved out of that house. I was currently living in a van, that couldn't move and I had gotten for free from a more than willing owner, in a quiet part of the woods that were around the town, so no one would bother us- me and Mari, that is. We were living together- not that he had anywhere else to go, really. It was nice to sleep on a proper bed again, even if the van was small and sometimes cramped. Mari had asked me multiple times if he could get a job to help me, but I explained to him that he didn't have a birth certificate or anything, he wasn't even supposed to exist- and I wasn't sure how to make a fake resume. It was just too risky. So I worked while he cleaned up the van and stuff like that, and I was surprised at how clean he could get it.

I was currently on my first official date with him, at a movie theater. It was an interesting phycological horror, his favorite kind- he seemed very enveloped in the movie. I smiled at him, but he didn't seem to notice. He was wearing a black hoodie and jeans- ones that he had picked out himself when we had gone shopping a while ago. I smiled at the memory, and reached over and interlaced my fingers in his, and he gave me a smile, and satisfied, I settled back to watch the rest of the movie.

After the movie, we were walking back home. It was dark and the stars had come out, making for a pretty sight. He was talking about the movie we'd just seen, and I nodded every once in a while, but I wasn't really listening, I was just looking at his pretty face and thinking about how lucky I was to have him as my boyfriend. Suddenly, he pointed. "What's that?" 

I looked to where he was pointing. A giant ferris wheel, all alit with lights, was in the distance. What in all of...? Oh, right- I'd forgotten there was the town's festival going on. They did one every year, and it was... Celebrating the sun or something? I couldn't really remember. Axel and me had been working extra to make themed drinks and things like that. I had just forgotten it was today.

"Oh yeah, I forgot the festival's tonight," I replied, but Mari had already grabbed my hand and was walking quickly towards the thing, tugging me excitedly with him, which was a few blocks away. 

"Can we go?" He said, turning to me.

I laughed. "Doesn't look like you're giving me much of a choice!"

Mari speed-walked me to the where the festivities were taking place. There were lots of vendors lined up along the sides of the road, selling all sorts of trinkets and souvenirs, and most importantly, to Mari anyway- food. Meaning mostly sugary treats.

"Can we pleeeeease buy some of this?" He said, pointing to a vendor selling cotton candy. 

"I.... Fine." I relented, and he beamed at me in happiness. We made our way around the festival, eating our cotton candy. lights had been strung up over our heads, making a pretty sight in the night, and there were banners of yellow and white to match the festivals colors all over the place. Mari fed me bits of cotton candy, until I protested that I wasn't a baby and that I could eat them myself. 

"You seemed to enjoy it enough," he said, mischievously. He was in a very good mood. He'd been in a pretty good mood most of the time, actually, since we moved out. He could go where he wanted, now, as long as he wore sunglasses and didn't let people look at him too closely. 

"Well, let's see how you like it then!" I said, taking a piece of cotton candy. "Open up!" He  opened his mouth obediently, and I poked it in. "Well?" I said, as he chewed it. 

"I think you should feed me more often."

"Oh, you-!" I said, trying not to laugh, as I playfully punched him in the arm lightly. He caught sight of the ferris wheel again, and grabbed my hand. "Look! Can we go up there?" He said, his eyes shining with excitement again.

                                       ...

We climbed into the compartment, and sat opposite each other, as the machine came to life and slowly went up. Mari looked out as we climbed up higher and higher, and soon we could see the town, all the little lights laid out across the hills like stars. "Wow..." I heard him say softly, looking at the sight. I looked at it too, but I couldn't help but look back at him after a moment. He had taken off his sunglasses after the wheel had started up, and I admired the effect the lights coming from below had on his white hair. He noticed I was looking at him and looked back at me, and smiled. We stayed like that for a moment. Even though I had known him for so long, he still made my heart speed up. He still looked as pretty as the day he'd saved me. I interlaced my hands in his, and that floating, cozy feeling that happened when we were close came into me again. And then we kind of leaned forwards at the same time, and- well... He kissed me. Or did I kiss him? I couldn't tell, and I didn't care. It was a soft, little kiss that only lasted about a second or two, but it felt longer. We pulled back, and I kind of awkwardly smiled, and he smiled back. It was a little awkward. But that was okay. Everything was okay, when he was with me.