Confession

"are you okay?"

I stared at his shirt, not making eye contact with him. My throat hurt, and I thought if I said anything I might cry.

I didn't know if I was okay. I didn't know anything for sure. All I knew is that I had been very scared, and I wasn't sure how to feel now. 

I just hugged him and buried my face into his chest. He hugged me back, in a gentle way, not making me talk about it, not asking questions, just holding. We stayed there, and somehow, he made everything okay. My hands clutched the back of his shirt, as if afraid he would disappear at any moment, and I would fall into a million pieces. 

Slowly, I relaxed. He was soft, so soft, and even though it was only mid-afternoon, I felt as tired as though I had had a hard day. 

...

I must have fallen asleep. Because as I slowly woke up, I found I was laying on top of him, and we were both laying down on the couch. I couldn't remember how we'd gotten that way, but I didn't want to get up, I felt cozy. Still, a shadow hung over my mind- and as I tried to remember how we had gotten in this position, I remembered- I remembered the poor old man, I remembered everything. I shivered a little.

What if Mari hadn't been following me? What if I had gotten killed?

Slowly, another thought came into my mind. What if I had died without being able to tell him how I felt about him? ...how did I feel about him? I had been living with him for... Almost a month? He wasn't even human, and yet, that didn't seem to bother me at all. He made me feel okay, like nothing mattered when I looked into his eyes. I shouldn't feel okay. I just saw someone die. But I couldn't help it. I... I loved Mari too much. Is that what this feeling was? I loved him? I... I loved him. I felt as though I was soaring. I felt my face heat up, and I felt warm. Somehow, coming to terms with the fact that I was talking in love felt nice. It shouldn't. I shouldn't be happy, not after what happened, but... I was. 

I wasn't someone who had a lot of courage, but suddenly... I felt like I couldn't hold it in anymore. I needed to tell him. I needed to clear things up, I was tired of being unsure. I pushed myself up onto my elbows, and looked at him. He had his eyes closed, though they immediately flickered open as I propped myself up. He blinked a couple of times, and then smiled kindly at me. "How are you doing?" He asked. 

Suddenly, I was nervous. My heart was beating very fast. I opened my mouth, then closed it, desperately trying to figure out what I wanted to say. He seemed confused and mildly worried. "What is it?"

"I... I... I really..." I paused, almost losing my nerve, but then just deciding to say it before I talked myself out of it;

"I think I love you." 

There was a short, surprised pause, and it took a lot of my will not to just put my face into his chest and hide it again.

He seemed very taken aback at this sudden confession and at a loss for what to say, but after a moment, he seemed to find his voice again.

"I... (Name)... I think I love you too, but I... I don't think I deserve to. And yet I can't help myself." As he said this, he looked into my eyes with a slightly sad, guilty look. 

"What... What do you mean?"

"(Name)... I'm ashamed to say it but I..." 

His voice cracked and he cleared his throat.

"I lied to you."

------------------- Note:

Here it is, the big confession, part 1! What do you guys think, would you forgive him for lying? What do you think he lied about?  Also, sorry if this story is a little confusing, my life got a bit busy, (I've started playing the drums! >:D ) and over time I tend to forget what I've already written and what rules are set for this universe and all that. 😅

Other than that, all I've got to say is expect a chapter to come out on Christmas (unless I get super busy or something out of nowhere) or the day before, as a Holiday gift... Or something like that idk lol