Good Ending

"No, I...." I stumbled back, in the direction of the van.
"I just.... Need some time."

He watched me with unreadable eyes.

I started at him for a moment, and then spun around and ran inside, closing the door behind me. I dove under the covers.
Maybe, just maybe, I would fall asleep and all of this would just be a dream. No, not a dream, more like a twisted nightmare. How had I not known this side of him?
How, how on earth had I missed this?
Sure, he'd made some jokes about how he would murder for me, but this...
How many other things ha he done?
Had...
Had he actually killed for me?
The thought sent a feeling down my back, like someone had dumped ice water down my spine.
I started into the night with wide eyes.
Creeeeeeeak.
I froze.
I heard the unmistakable slight creak of a footstep on the doorstep.
The small noise as the door was opened.
Was it just me, or had the temperature dropped?
I heard the door open, but as though someone had opened it very, very carefully.
I slowly pulled the covers off my eyes, even though I knew exactly who would be there. I expected to see him, standing there. But I didn't.
And then a flicker of motion caught my eye, and I looked up.
Black, snake-like, striped tentacles were silently moving across the ceiling from the doorway. I stood, frozen with horror. I saw more of them snake around the doorframe and creep in. Then I saw a figure step in. I stared, backed as far back into the corner of my bed as I could be.
My hands were shaking uncontrollably and I knew I was trapped.
He slowly turned his head to look at me. I couldn't see his face well in the dark, but I could see the reflection of his silver eyes.

"(Name)...." He said, in a low voice that wasn't quite a whisper.

He took a step towards me.

"(Name)..." This time he said it in an almost sing-song voice.

"Don't you want to forget?"

I couldn't speak. I couldn't move. I couldn't do anything but stare, transfixed with fear.

He tilted his head at me, smiling. But it wasn't a nice smile.

"Come, now, (Name)..." He took another step.

"I can't have you ruining our forever."

He paused, considering me, and his smile vanished for a moment.

"Maybe this is already all a dream..."

He smiled again. "Yes... This is all a dream. You are very, very sleepy, and all of this is simply something you mind is making up to scare you."

Suddenly, I did feel sleepy. I felt heavy. I felt my eyelids slowly closing shut.

I felt slithery tentacles wrap around me. I shivered.

"Shh...."
The last thing I saw before I closed my eyes was his feet, at the edge of my bed.

"Don't worry, Love... I'm here."

I felt a soft kiss on my head, and a hand stroking my hair.

I forgot my fear. I forgot all about blood, and fires...

And I slept.

         . . .

I woke up to the sound of the Kio crying.
I yawned, stretching, and accidentally hit Mari, who was sleeping beside me, in the face.
"Mmph." He grunted.

"Sorry..." I said sleepily. I swung my feet up from our bed and walked over to the crib on the other half of the room.
Kio sat there, face tear stained, sniffling, and when I was in view, reached up with tiny, pudgy one-year old arms. I sighed. "Alright, Alright..."
I picked up the small child and swayed back and forth as the cries gradually ceased.

"What, you have a bad dream?" I patted his back. Kio had grayish-(your hair color) hair, and silvery (eye-color) eyes, and although he tended to enjoy knocking things over a bit too much, was a curious, and funny child.

I felt arms encircle my waist, and knew without looking it was Mari. Maybe on our first year of marriage, I would've been caught by surprised, but we'd had our fifth anniversary last March, and I had gotten used to his many strange habits.

I hadn't been sure whether or not Mari would take to fatherhood so well, but he had quite surprisingly been a very loving, if overprotective father.

We had sold the van a long time ago, gotten jobs, and worked hard to afford a lovely house in the woods, far away from the city. We only had a few neighbors who were nice enough, and had children of their own that could become playmates for Kio and Anette. Anette, our three-year old, had lovely, long silver hair and (Your eye color) eyes. She was a caring, sweet child, an Angel, and it didn't have to be said that Mari would've spoiled her rotten if it hadn't been for your intervention. Now, she sleepily came in, rubbing her eyes.
"How's he crying again?"
I rolled my eyes. "It's why, Anette, not how."
Mari let go of me, and reached down to pick Anette up.
He twirled her around in the air, smiling. Anette laughed.
Anette had inherited her father's smile, and smiled nearly as much as he did, too.

I smiled at their silliness, and Kio stopped crying to watch them.
"Ma! Ma!" He said, reaching out. "What, you want me to do that to you to?" I said, giving him an incredulous look.

"Come on, you sillies, it's time for breakfast now."