Jealous

Life with Mari was amazing- though we didn't have much, and every time I thought I had found the limits of how happy he could make me, he seemed to exceed them. Just thinking about him tended to put me in a good mood- I had someone who would always have my back, no matter what, and be on my side. After our date at the festival, he would often give me little kisses when I had to go to work or came home, and often just walked up and hugged me. He made dinner for me often, as I was tired a lot these days, and was getting quite good at it- whenever we could afford it, he would just buy ingredients at the store and make stuff all on his own- he invented a strawberry cupcake in particular that I loved. 

He also read at the speed of light, it felt like, and could easily memorize things, so he preoccupied himself with all sorts of hobbies while I was gone- once he discovered the library, he spent hours there at a time, though always making sure to be home by the time I got back from work, wanting to spend as much time with me as possible- and he had recently taken to trying to build things in the woods, out of branches and stuff. He liked being outside, though not entirely so much around other people. He took on a mildly possessive attitude whenever anyone so much as looked at me or talked to me a bit too friendly. We were working on that. After all, I wanted him to also have friends other than me- though he entirely disagreed, saying all he needed was me. He seemed happier than ever, just to be with me. There wasn't much that could disrupt his happy mood these days. 

Well, except.... Axel. He was not a  big fan of him. He first met him when while walking through town one day, he insisted we check out the place where I worked, as he had never really seen it, from the inside, anyway. 

As we opened the door, the bell tinkled merrily, and even though I couldn't see his eyes behind his sunglasses, I could tell he was scanning the small shop. I saw Axel, working behind the counter to serve a couple of other people who were seated and talking at the tables. He looked up and saw me, and smiled brightly as we walked in. 

"(Name)! How are you doing?"

Mari's head spun to look at him, and then glanced at me. 

"I'm good. This is my boyfriend, Mari. Mari, this is my co-worker, Axel." I said, walking over to him with Mari following me and introducing the two. 

"Ah! Nice to meet you!" Axel greeted happily, reaching out to shake Mari's hand. 

After a millisecond of hesitation, he took his hand and shook it, maybe a tad bit harder than necessary, but Axel didn't seem to notice, or if he did, he didn't say anything. 

"So, can I get you guys anything?"

"Uhm... Well, we weren't going to buy anything, Mari just wanted to take a look around.."

"Aw, c'mon! It's on the house."

"Really? Are you sure-" I said, looking up in surprise. 

"Yeah, it's no problem! What would you like?"

...

As we sat down and waited for him to make our drinks, Mari seemed more silent than usual. 

"Is everything okay?" I said, concerned. 

"...you two seem like good friends." He said, not exactly meeting my eyes. 

"Huh? Well, I guess we're friends, but I don't really know him that well..."

"Hmmph." Was all he said in return. 

Was he jealous? I had worried something like this might happen.

"Hey, Mari, listen-" the whir of a machine made a noise so that made it so probably no one else could hear our conversation, and I pressed on quickly. "I don't like him, you know that, right? That I just like you?" He stopped pouting and gave me a small smile. 

"...yeah." 

The machine noise stopped, and I reached over to hold his hand across the table. He took it in his and squeezed it gently. Just then, Axel came over with our drinks. 

"And heeere you go!" He said cheerily, placing a creamy drink before Mari and my own in front of me. I attempted to pull back my hand from Mari's, but he held it firmly in his own. 

"Thanks! And thanks again, Axel, for the free drinks..." I poked mari with my toe under the table.

"...yeah, thanks.." he said reluctantly.

"Oh, don't mention it! Enjoy your drinks!" He replied cheerily, and walked away. 

I once again tried and failed to pull my hand away from my boyfriend's. "Hey! I need my han to drink!"

"No, no you don't!" He said, smirking back at me, and entwined his fingers in mine. His other hand reached over and lifted my drink up to my face. "You're gonna spill and get my face all messy or something!" I protested, but he didn't, and I secretly thought it was cute. 

---------------

Yeah sorry I was sick for a long time and was lacking inspiration so this took a little bit of a while. Thanks for reading! Also, this isn't really my best artwork, eheh, but here, I made a lil' something! artwork up top is also by me, btw.