CHAPTER TWO

Laura's POV        

        It was a freezing Wednesday morning, the weather harsh.  I could feel the wind blowing furiously as I got out of my car and walked towards the hospital. Today was going to prove to be yet another challenging day for me, actually every day was tough and tiring in a doctor's life, but Wednesday was more tough than usual. I, along with all the other senior doctors, was required to administer a number of biopsies checking for glioma. In biopsy we were the junior surgeons, however, it's not easy for one to deal with this. Dr. Sam was the senior of us; he was a specialist in neurology and an expert in his field. His hands had to be the steadiest in the world!

        After I was done with the difficult, yet mind numbing work, I went downstairs for coffee. I was in a hurry, practically running through the hall, so it was no surprise when I accidentally bumped into someone. It was a rather hard clash and I felt so dizzy that black spots appeared in my eyes for a few moments. We had both fallen to the floor, but as I slowly stood up I saw the well-dressed man standing before me. He was tall and handsome, with light brown eyes and black hair as dark as coal. His face held a cold expression and the death glare he shared with me did nothing to lighten his expression.

        "I’m so sorry, did I hurt you?" I asked, glancing along his body as if I would be able to spot any prominent injuries.

        "Sorry?! Do you even know what that means? I wish the word didn't even exist." He said in his creepy, unnerving voice, his cold eyes still staring into my soul. Or so it seemed.

        Hearing this reply was rather strange, but yet again, I was in a hospital and was used to the strange and abnormal. "I don’t know what else to say to you. I've already apologized; do you want me to crash into you again?” I asked sarcastically, brushing off my legs.

        “Whatever," he muttered; giving me a sideways glance before turning and heading down a more shadowed hallway.

        I tried to follow him, but he had already disappeared. Embarrassment and shame made my skin heat up while I couldn't get over how unsettling the man's voice had been. There was something unusual about him, but I gave up my pursuit and continued to the break room for my coffee.

        After I guzzled down my coffee, I rushed back to my room. My room of which was already occupied by an awaiting patient; Anna, my dearest patient. She was only eight when diagnosed with lung cancer. With her pale yellow skin and dark circles littering her deathly thin face, all I could offer was my empathy and doctoring skills. Anna couldn’t be in school because of cancer. She was too young for all the struggling, she should have been living a happy, peaceful life surrounded by friends and looking forward to the bright future, not eminent death.

        "Anna! What a surprise! How has she been faring lately?" I asked Anna's mother, Rosaline, my voice sweet and gentle.

        "Can't you read a mother's eye?" Rosaline sobbed, tears falling freely from her eyes.

        "You have to trust and believe in God, okay? She'll get better." I struggled to smile, handing over a tissue for her tears.

        It was 4 pm and all I wanted was to go home and have a nice long nap, unhindered by shadowed faces and tears. There were too many patients waiting outside for that to happen though.

        "Dr. Laura, your next patient is ready to see you," announced the nurse as she opened the door for the person.

        "Okay, come on in." I replied, glancing up from my notes from the previous patient. A strikingly familiar guy walked in, staring at me as he entered the room and landed heavily in a chair. I was trying to remember where I had seen him before, when suddenly I remembered; he was the guy I bumped into that afternoon! I swallowed and looked to him; thank goodness he was looking out of the window and not at me.

        'He is my patient,' I thought to myself, 'but why is he here? Shouldn't he be in an asylum, or shall I treat him as a psychotic patient?" I looked at him again, but now he was looking straight at me. 'Why is he here? Why couldn't someone else get him?' I asked myself, 'Why?'