CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

Ignore typos

(Laura)

Walter held his guitar and played softly with his fingers moving perfectly along the strings. I was looking at him passionately and Ella was enjoying the soft music. I could feel the lyrics pouring into my heart. I could feel it so vividly I was astonished by how perfect Walter's playing was.

"Ella, Mr. Wilson is in Toronto these days. You should meet with him someday soon. He came here and was asking about you." said Walter as he stopped playing.

"Oh! Mr. Wilson! Sounds great." She said happily.

Walter then said that he was tired and went off to sleep. Me and Ella decided to talk more as I wanted to ask her about her personal life. She remained quiet for a while as I observed her blank face.

"My life has always been awful and difficult you know." She sighed, looking out at the sky.

"Like?" I asked, trying to know more about her.

"The guy I married and fell in love with was a real monster and you know I never realized until he showed his real face. We fell in love in our high school years but, as a teen, I couldn't see anything around me but him. Despite my family's disapproval, I ran away with him and we got married. Our newly married life was as better as never but slowly he began to show his real side. He was a drug addict and had no business or job; he just used up all of my hard-earned money. He used to beat me everyday. He was a wolf in sheep's clothes. I had no escape except to run away. "

"I ran away and decided to live on my own. I got divorced from him and returned to my home. I was broken, Laura! Broken with a heart shattered into a million pieces! I tried to explain everything to Walter but he seemed to be the one least bothered by my situation! I don't trust the man!" She was sobbing, tears pouring down her soft cheeks and her eye lashes were soaked from tears.

I grabbed her hand gently and tried to console her. I never would have guessed that behind her smiling face was such a tragedy because even her own brother doesn't trust her. I felt bad for both and I knew that I was helpless. I knew Ella loving a man was something of an impossible feat.

"It's okay! Ella, look; you have me to always stand by your side. You can always count on me!" I tried to stop her from crying. She quickly tried to get herself back to normal and hugged me tightly.

"Thank you, Laura! I wish you and Walter will always be happy!" She smiled through her drying tears, looking into my eyes.

"No problem!" I winked as she smiled. She then left for the night.

I was still gazing at the stars and trying to console myself. Such was difficult to do when my mind was wondering what the end of mine and Walter's relationship would be. Quietly, I muttered, "Does he even want me in his life? I don't know how much longer I can stand this! Someday everyone will know and after that......" I trailed off, not allowing myself to go there. Not yet.

***

I was looking for Walter to ask him about today's lunch. It was about 11:00 a.m. I had looked for him everywhere but he seemed to be gone but I saw the butler watering the plants.

"Butler?" I asked and he seemed a bit frightened as if I had given him an electric shock.

"Yes, mistress?" He bowed and then moved to another plant in the corner.

"Have you seen Walter?" I asked as if it was really killing me not seeing him home, especially on a Sunday.

"Mistress, he is in the library."

"What? The library? Never knew he was someone to be found in a library!" I chuckled as the butler stared at me. "Okay. Um, I'll go check on him."