CHAPTER FORTY THREE

*not revised *

"You know that Charles' death was not because of me! I wasn't involved in any of it at all!" Walter yelled as his anger and anxiety were getting out of control.

"Either way, man, I just called to tell you that we might need some payback, you know, enjoyment," the guy on the phone laughed as the call ended.

Walter couldn't believe that those guys were after him once again. He had no idea what he would do if something were to happen to Laura. He was now beyond nervous and drenched in sweat. His mind was a dizzy, frenzied clump of brains as he struggled with his swelling emotions. All he wanted to do was make sure Laura stayed out of this; she couldn't get hurt if they didn't know about her.

At the reoccurring thought of Laura, Walter quickly grabbed his phone and dialed her number. He was biting his lip as he counted the seconds that passed until she answered.

"Hey," Laura said in her sweetly oblivious voice.

"Are you okay? Why weren't you answering my call? You know I got worried and you..." he said being a typical man trying to show his possessiveness.

"I'm alright, I was just in the operation theater working. Are you okay? You sound like you've just seen a ghost." Laura was in an oddly calm mood and her voice was as mellow as ever.

"I am fine. Would you like to go for dinner tonight?" he asked, blushing, not knowing how to distract her from the frantic rush of his words.

"Is that you? Mr. Ice Man asking me on a date?" Laura chuckled as Walter smiled in relief.

"Who said it's a date?" Walter said sheepishly, holding the phone in his right hand as he heaved in deep breaths.

"That's your defense? You were definitely asking me out." Laura giggled but Walter was too lost in his returning worries to reply to her.

"I'll be free at 8:00, that okay for you?" Laura asked again and Walter brushed away his thoughts for the moment.

"Sure," he said simply. "I shall be going then. Oh, and I got a message from Daniel saying that he is being treated well in his new school and home. I hope he adjusts without too much struggle." Walter told Laura who got a real shock hearing Daniel's name.

"Oh, Walter, please do give me Daniel's number; I want to talk to him," Laura nearly pleaded.

"Yeah, yeah, later. See you!" Walter said and ended the call. After taking a gulp of water from a bottle on his desk, Walter searched for a task to distract himself with. He knew this moment of calm wouldn't stay for long and now that Charles' old gang is coming back, he knew that he needed to pay them back before they hurt too many people.

Laura's POV

I got a call from Walter asking me out to a dinner which made me quite happy. Thinking, I realized that it had been over ten months since we got married. A lot had happened and Walter changed into an entirely different man. Not the guy who I met suffering from cancer and slowly dying. Even though sometimes he hid his emotions, I know a part of him still cares deeply for me. This was not the only change to take place in my heart.

I was happy for John and Ella that they were dating since Ella had given John a chance. Things were getting better but I was still worried about Daniel's health. Jennie was anemic because of her pregnancy but she seemed happy and cheeky all the time. Paul and Jennie were so perfect for each other that nothing in the world could pull them apart. Just as I was thinking of Jennie I got a call from her.

"Hello!" she said drearily.

"Hi! How are you, Jennie?" I asked in a soft tone in case she had a headache.