CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT

Laura

Walter gently placed a second soft kiss to my forehead, making me blush as my stomach fluttered. My heart beat rapidly and I could hardly contain how much I wanted to kiss him on the lips. Opening my eyes I saw my friends glaring at me as if I had ran away from an asylum and wasn't supposed to be there.

"What?" My cheeks turned red and heat radiated from them.

"Love birds," whispered Daniel. Walter had already proceeded towards the exit without me.

"Shut up!" I grumbled, noticing everyone laughing and giggling at me and my red face.

Stefan, Paul, and Jennie decided to go home together and Daniel would go home on his own, the same with Ella as well. We all said our goodbyes and headed towards the different cars.

I waited for Walter to move the car out. I swept some stray strands of hair from my eyes, my head angled down. I tried not to look at him. I opened the car door and slid into it. It was an awkward situation and I didn't know what else to do except stare out of the window. Walter turned on the radio and the song that immediately began blasting through the speakers was Animals by Maroon 5.

Enjoying the music, I cautiously tilted my head to steal a glance at his face. He looked pissed, his jaw visibly clenching as he glared straight out at the road, his fists wrapped tightly around the steering wheel. I turned back to the window.

I knew this would happen eventually. Daniel shouldn't have asked such a stupid thing from Walter. I knew he was annoyed but it wasn't a big deal, really. All it was was kissing your wife.

"I never knew you were good at boating," I finally spoke out, trying to get rid of that awkward silence.

"Yeah. You didn't do too bad either." He smirked as we stopped at a red light waiting for the signal to change.

I hesitated for a moment, "Why did you come when you refused to? And what was Sarah doing with you?" I couldn't understand it for the life of me.

He remained silent for a while but then a big smile spread across his face and he started to laugh.

"What? Is this funny to you?!" I declared in annoyance.

He kept smiling and laughing like a giddy teenager and I was just looking at him with a blank face, waiting for him to finish.

"Well, I wanted to come and surprise you. As for Sarah, she jumped me and started to ask me to help her out so I had to do it, unwillingly." He then took an unexpected break as we stopped.

"I see." I took a deep sigh and felt the relief on the exhale. The guards opened the garage, directing Walter where to park the car as we were finally home.

"Walter?" I asked, coming out of the car and trying to swallow past the lump in my throat.

"What?"

"Actually I wanted to apologize for...um...what Daniel asked you to....you know. I know it was quite embarrassing for you." I finally let it out.

"About what?" He shrugged as if he didn't know what I was talking about.

"The, you know...having to kiss me, part," I said, face red as a tomato.

He handed his coat to the butler. "I didn't do it for Daniel," he smiled at me. I was shocked to hear that but I knew he meant something else. He always did.

"Right, you mean to keep up your facade in front of people," I replied sarcastically.

"No."

"Then why did you do it?" I asked eagerly.