CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN

LAST CHAPTER

That innocent face, those pink lips, those soft eyes and that pain in her face. Her long hair was pulled back as she was wearing a head band. Her face was not gleaming like always, she showed no hint of happiness. Her eyes showed everything that I didn't want to see; her pain, her strife, every memory she kept locked away, and they showed me...

I was just staring at her. She was pale, thin, with dark circles around her bloodshot eyes. She looked so unstable and weak that I worried she was going to faint at that moment. Yes, it was unmistakably Laura, but not my Laura; not my cheerful, loving Laura. Yet, how could I not recognize her? She was still there, hidden, that part of her that I had fallen in love with. Laura my wife, my life, my love. She was standing right in front of me.

'Hey man, you're dreaming; Laura is gone forever!' my mind screamed to me but my eyes could never lie.

My world stopped, taking my heart's beat and my speech with it too. She was standing there, still like a statue, her mouth hanging open, her eyes filled with disgust. Yes, I agreed with my trembling heart, though four years had passed, the alcohol never kept me from thinking about and loving her. My mind, my heart, and my soul belonged to only this person. The pain, the anger, the need for revenge; I could see it all in her eyes.

She didn't see me the way she saw me the first time we met. Our first bump, five years ago. I was her patient and she, my doctor. That time I could see her eyes filled with happiness but now there was no such . I moved forward catching my breath and my emotions, I couldn't stop staring at her.

"Laura... Laura..." I mumbled and reached out my arms to hug her but she stepped back as though I had the plague. She didn't respond, she was like a dead woman walking.

"Laura... I can't lose y-" before I could finish my statement I saw a woman coming for Laura.

She grabbed Laura's arms and pulled her towards the exit. "Laura, let's go home!"

She glared at me as though I was a murderer. I ran towards Laura but she got hold of that woman's arm and disappeared down the hall. I searched for her everywhere but she was gone. I went upstairs, downstairs, and even into the basement of the hospital. Hopeless, I found myself sitting next to a stack of files in the basement, crying and crying. The pain, the memories, they were returning to me in a flood I couldn't contain.

'What's happened to Laura?' I wonder, 'Why is she so sick? Is she working in this hospital as a doctor? Why didn't she respond?' I was going crazy. Bran called my phone and came running for me not long after.

"Sir," he glanced around the dank room I occupied, "Are you alright?"

I only nodded. I was so much in shocked that I wasn't able to move or say a word as he dragged me from the basement and back into the bright, burning world I longed to escape.

Laura's POV
It'd been forever since I worked with the orphans or took care of Rose. Every single day that I didn't, John and Jennie asked me to take care of myself. The days were becoming gloomy and no more did I want to live this life that had been mine for too long. I's grown numb to the world surrounding me and hated living among people, especially happy people. After what had happened in my life I decided to never trust anyone. I hated every single breathing, blinking, smiling person.

Last night I was with Dr. Miley for my check up. No doubt I lost more color to my skin day by day, leaving me as pale as a piece of blank paper. My hair was falling out in clumps that grew larger and larger. But I still somehow managed to smile in front of people too oblivious to notice the change.