Chapter 11: Tomfoolery

~~Part 1: Lessons in Gambling~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm just saying," you stated, sitting down at a dining table outside the place Alastor had brought you to. Both of you setting your food down in front of you, ready to start eating. "If you ever feel the urge to try something a little more modern, doing podcasts could be right up your alley."

"Perhaps," he sighed. "But I'm an old dog who would rather stick with what's familiar to me. No school like the old school, right?"

"Suit yourself, just an idea." You hummed, unwrapping your sandwich. Your mouth watered at the delicious aroma of it, your stomach making an audible rumble that instantly made you smirk and blush in embarrassment.

"Hungry, darling?" He asked with a gentle smile, politely acknowledging the sound.

"No, my stomach just likes to impersonate the mating call of a humpback whale." You quipped with a chuckle.

"Ah, I see." He hummed, laughing softly in amusement. "Well, dig in, my dear!"

"Thank you again. I can pay you back later." You said. Humming with delight as you took a bite, the tangy and savory sauce blending so perfectly with the succulence of the meat and veggies on it. Alastor wasn't kidding, this was one of the best po'boys you've had in a long time.

"Nonsense!" He chirped, dabbing his mouth with a napkin as some extra sauce had dribbled down his chin. "Pardon me... I offered to take you out to lunch. It was my treat, my dear."

"If you say so." You shrugged.

"Darling with all due respect," he paused, putting his sandwich down. "You haven't been paid by Charlie yet. So unless you've been doing some more gambling, I'm not sure how you could pay me back just yet. Not that I don't appreciate the offer, of course."

You snickered, unable to wipe the smug grin from off your face. "I could get the money no problem. No playing cards needed."

"That a fact?" He mused. "Think you could in... say, the span of five minutes?"

You raised your eyebrows, pleasantly surprised he would challenge you on the spot. You looked around at your immediate environment, scanning for a potential mark.

"This place is an opportunists dream..." you murmured softly, spurring a chuckle from the stag next to you as you mentally picked your target. Noticing two demons standing over by a bus stop, neither looking at each other as one was on the phone and the other was lighting a cigarette; you glanced down and noticed one's wallet was sticking out of their back pocket. It was a risk, you'd have to misdirected their attention so they don't notice their wallet being pulled out, but you could work with that.

"Make it two minutes." You chirped, wiping your hands with a napkin. Alastor's grin widened as he took out his pocket watch and opened it, watching the second hand tick, tick, ticking away until it got to the 12 at the top.

"Aaaand..." he trailed off. "Go."

You got up from your seat and scampered off, heading over in the direction of your target. Okay, you thought. Street sign is just low enough for me to jump and reach, could hoist myself up there and hide... worst case scenario I get caught, just act like I'm drunk and stumbling. Gotta make this count...

Looking around to make sure no other eyes were locked on you (aside from the deer mans, of course.) you were quick to act. You had to be, every nano second counted when you did these things. With two fingers you quickly and carefully tugged his wallet up out of his pocket and purposely put your weight into his backside as if you had tripped and fallen against him; the harsh contact hopefully distracting him from the feeling of his wallet being pulled out. You then skillfully jumped and hoisted yourself up and pulled your weight onto the top of the street sign, carefully sitting on the post and looking down below you.