Chapter 16: Out of Comfort Zones

~~~~~~flashback~~~~~~

"Do you see us together in the future?" He asked. Tracing small circles along your skin with the tips of his fingers as you curled up to him. Tuning into his voice and away from the sound of crickets chirping outside, you nodded.

"I do."

"What if I asked you... to run away with me?"

"What?" You murmured, pulling away from the cuddle session and sat up. "What do you mean?"

"I have a place back in Arizona, and my old boss told me I'm welcome back there any time. I know they'd take me back, too." He explained, sitting up. "We could leave the next time we go through town there, and... start our lives together."

"Baby you're not serious..." you chuckled in disbelief.

"I'm serious about you. I'm serious about us. But we're never going to be truly happy together unless you're free from that tight ass leash your parents got you on." He sighed. "Y/n, I've been doing nothing but saving up ever since we started getting serious. I can support us for a while, and even get you a job where I work if you want."

'Leave?' You thought.

"I don't want to twist your arm, I know how much you love what you do..." he continued. "I would never take that away from you. I know it's not an easy decision, it'd be a big change."

You'd finally know what it was like to live differently. You may not like it, but, you don't like always being sore and under someone's thumb either. No traveling area code. The same yard every day. No pressure to gain applause. You could just... live.

But...This was all you knew, your friends, your family, you'd likely not see them again... Would it be worth it?

"Can I have a while to think about it?" You asked.

~~~~~~flashback over~~~~~~

"I must know everything. I must penetrate the heart of his secret! I must become Caligari!"

The title card read on the TV screen, eerie and distorted music playing as the film progressed. The title card switching back to the very grainy and vignetted footage. You had found yourself a little lost and didn't know what to do with yourself after dinner, and decided to browse through the streaming services on the television in your room. You liked movies and shows here and there, granted you didn't typically have the time. Usually, you'd tend to just leave the TV or your phone on as you were falling asleep. In your search you had stumbled upon a bunch of vintage movies and decided to put one on. It was a silent horror film, just over a hundred years old now.

You were about half way through, and by now quite immersed in what was happening on the screen. You almost jumped right out of your skin when you heard three gentle knocks on your door.

"Hah.." you sighed, placing a hand over your startled chest. Almost forgotten that you had invited Alastor over. Getting up from your spot on the bed you skipped over to the door.

"Who is itttt~?" You sang in a high falsetto on the other side.

"No one of consequence." Alastor's voice teased.

"I must know." You hummed, leaning against the door.

"Get used to disappointment."

A smirk crept onto your face as you stepped back from the door and opened it for him. His eyes lit up as he entered the room, his smile ever present on his face. You closed the door behind him with a soft smile.