Chapter 14: Dose of Affection

Slowly slipping away from the world of dreams,  visions lingered of your family.

Your parents distraught, perhaps more agitated than sad. Everyone else, your friends and colleagues, they seemed to be mourning pretty hard. You wondered if what you dreamt of was actually happening on earth in real time. Considered a night or two ago you were plagued with images of your own cadaver; the possibility didn't seem far-fetched. But, these dreams left as quickly as you woke up. Becoming nothing more than vague scenes stored in your short-term memory, only to be forgotten later.

When you woke back up it must have late in the evening. Before midnight at least, but almost everyone in the hotel had gone off to bed or do their own thing.

Almost everyone.

It was raining again, thunder seemed to roar and rumble, lightning cracked the sky just outside your window.

You groaned, feeling the inevitable headache taking it's hold. Not the worst hangover you've had, but definitely not fun. It beat the pain of severe withdrawal, although technically any hangover is a minor case in itself. You sat up in bed and let your head hang low as you tried to piece together your moments prior. Drinking with Husk and Angel, Alastor coming by to join, and you barely remembered him being the last person you saw before everything went black. 

Rubbing the grogginess from your eyes, you blinked and let your vision adjust to your dark room. Startled a little as thunder continued to rumble. You reached over and turned on the tabletop lamp at your bedside, squinting at the sudden brightness. Your gaze panned down and noticed a glass of water, a couple pills, and a folded note. Furrowing a brow and heaving a heavy sigh you unfolded the note and read it silently.

      "Darling,

I took the liberty of escorting you to your room. You went a little heavy on the booze earlier and I felt it necessary to ensure you got some rest. Beside you are some pain relievers and some water (not vodka, I promise!).

When you have your wits about you, we need to discuss something. Come find me whenever you're ready. I'll be waiting.

                      -Alastor"

"The hell does he wanna discuss with me?" You muttered to yourself.

You couldn't for the life of you remember your last interaction with him. And sat there a bit baffled, hoping that whatever you did, you didn't piss him off too much.

"Fuck it." You sighed, reaching over and taking the pills he had left for you and drinking the water. Small sips at first and then greedier gulps; not initially realizing how thirsty you really were. The cool beverage soothing the dryness of your throat until there wasn't a drop left in the glass.

You wiped your chin of any excess that dribbled down with the sleeve of the hoodie and threw the covers off of you.

Wait... Did he tuck me in? Or did I do that?

You dismissed the thought and got out of bed, meandering over to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. The warm yellow light seemed to hum and whir as the old bulb illuminated the space above the vanity mirror. You looked tired, especially near your eyes. You huffed, removing your gloves just for a brief moment and rinsing your face with the coldest water you could stand to help yourself wake up.

You decided to stay in Angel's hoodie and the pair of shorts you had fallen asleep in, not seeing the point in a wardrobe change this late at night. Quickly fixing your hair and hiding the dark circles beneath your eyes with some concealer so you at least looked put together. You took a steady breath before exiting your room to go find Alastor.