Chapter Ten

Valerie jogged over to where Vinny had put the drum tabs. She picked them up and went back to Vinny's dressing room, where she was keeping her stuff for the time being.

She opened her bag and grabbed her water bottle and the drum sticks Vinny had made her that one time.

She smiled, picked them up, and sighed.
"Right!" She says it out loud, clapping her hands together.

"Let's do this!"

▪️

She had walked over to the wings, and had taken a chair from one of the technicians, and she began tapping her foot and using the sticks to the beat of each song.

After going through six songs, she had memorised the simple beat for each, but she was struggling with some of the more difficult beats.

She plugged in her headphones to listen to the songs, repeating her previous steps and also adding in a more complex beat to make it sound better.

Of course, this was all air drums, but she knew which symbol was which and where each Tom was since she was a drummer herself.

▪️Valerie's point of view▪️

I continued to practise with the sticks, and thankfully I was able to remember the simple beat for each song we would play.

I was waiting for 15 minutes, and every now and again I glanced up to check on Vinny. He looked quite pale; maybe his condition was worsening?

I was beginning to think he was faking it since he seemed fine and healthy, but I suppose not. Maybe we shouldn't hang out tonight?

Just as I was coming back from a quick bathroom break, I heard the song "Disguise" begin to play, and I saw Vinny glance at me slightly, a nervous look in his eye.

Throughout the song, I noticed his hands slipping and he was slightly off beat.

"Vinny," I sighed, "what am I going to do with you?" I chuckled sadly, concerned for him.

My mind wondered back to before he went on stage, and my heart started beating quickly. He kissed my cheek! My heart was fluttering, and my stomach was flipping.

All I could think of was me being in his embrace with his lips against my skin. I shook my head to get rid of these thoughts.

"What are you doing to me, Vinny Mauro?" I whispered.

I wonder what is making him so down. Could it be being so far from home?

As disguise came to an end, I stood closer to the stage in the wings, and when Vinny played his last beat, he got up and left. He handed me ear pieces to block out unnecessary sounds, and before I could ask if he was okay, he sprinted off to his room.

I snapped back to reality as I heard Chris talking to the crowd, so I made my way to the drums.

As I ran onto the stage, my stomach sank in a bad way, and I glanced at the crowd, and my nerves kicked in. Christ, I didn't realise there would be so many people!

My phone vibrated, and Chris was still talking to his fans, so I decided to check it quickly.

▪️Drummer boy has sent you a message▪️

Drummer boy: You've got this; you'll do great. I believe in you; make me proud x

▪️end of chat with Drummer boy ▪️

My body burned with adrenaline, and I fought to hold back a smile. He believes in me!

My cheeks warmed a bit, and a warmth swelled inside my chest.

I shoved my phone into my pocket and got ready to play.

"Sadly, guys, Vinny has had to leave, but! We have a new friend with us, and she will be taking over the drums for us tonight!" Chris said excitedly, running over to me.

"Give it up for our drummer girl, Valerie!"

The crowds started 'wooing!'

Chris laughed.

He ruffled up my hair and went back to the centre of the stage.

"Alright! This next song is about a little pharmacist!" He yelled, and the crowd cheered, knowing the song he was talking about.

As we continued into the show, my mind was elsewhere. I was concerned for Vinny because of how pale and sickly he looked.

Soon, we were playing the final song, and everyone was headbanging. My hands were sore and red; everyone just looked tired.

I was covered in sweat and in desperate need of a shower. If Vinny saw me like this, he would surely laugh.

As Chris finished with one final "BLEGH" everyone clapped, and I almost ran off stage. I didn't stay to talk; I knew where my next destination was.

I got to the dressing room assigned to Vinny, and I swung the door open. I swung it so hard I almost knocked myself out.

My nerves were put to rest as I looked at Vinny, whose body was sprawled out over the entire couch.

His face had regained it's colour again, and he was drooling in his sleep. But he was shivering slightly.

I grabbed my blanket and draped it over him, ensuring it covered him all. I also placed a bottle of water next to him with some painkillers for when he wakes up.

Then I grabbed a new outfit from my bag and went to find a shower to clean myself before I met up with my sister. It would be weird if your little sister showed up with painted arms and covered in sweat.

After I got out of the shower and changed, I went to find Chris, but instead I found Ricky, who was drinking a Monster and lying on the sofa.

"Hey Rick, Vinny is passed out in his dressing room. I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to meet my sister. Chris already knows, but I wanted to let him know I'm leaving now. I'll see you all later! You were really good tonight," I told Ricky, and without letting him reply, I jogged off to find where I was meeting my sister. I was already late.

▪️with Valerie's sister▪️

"You didn't tell me you were playing with Motionless in White! They are Taylor's favourite band!" Jordan cried out, grabbing my hands excitedly. We earned some glares and harsh looks from strangers.

"Heh, I didn't realise they were that famous until I saw the crowd."

"You did great though, and I hope that the drummer is okay." Jordan sighed, sipping her coffee.

"He should be fine, he was asleep when I left. I think he's just feeling down since he's far from home," I told her.

"Oh, bless, he seems like a real sweetheart. Anyways! Let's get to business." Jordan shushed me and took out her phone.

"Right. Is it something about the wedding?" I guessed, adding sugar to my tea.

"Yup, it is on July 7th, at a little venue in Pennsylvania. Me and Tay wanted to ask, would you be a bridesmaid?"

"Oh. My. God. Yes! A thousand times yes! Thank you so much for asking this of me. You guys are my best sister and sister-in-law ever; I'm so lucky to have you both!" I jumped up and hugged her.

"I thought you'd say yes. I've got a dress fitting booked for you for after this meeting. But I've sadly got to leave. But the people you are meeting with know the theme of the wedding. The bridesmaid dresses are going to be dark colours." She told me this as she sipped the last of her coffee and stood up.

"Oh, okay, text me the address."

"Yep, will do. I'm sorry, I've got to shoot off, the missus is waiting." Jordan laughed before hugging me and leaving.