Chapter Eighteen

"Certainly, M'lady"

"Where are you thinking of going?" She asked as we began walking away from the alley, leaving that bastard behind.

Just thinking of him touching her like that makes me want to puke!

"Hmm, you'll have to wait and see," I teased, taking her hand in mine and spinning her around like a princess; she giggled. Her dress twisted and sprung out; it flowed; it was like gothic literature.

"I feel like I'm in a fairytale, and I've just been rescued."

"You are a princess, Val," I sighed, dancing with her as if we were in our own world.
Thankfully, there was no one else around.

"You, sir, are a prince. My Prince in Shining Armor"

"Am I not your knight?"

"Well, I don't believe a knight can be in a relationship with a princess, but a prince can."

"Are you flirting with me, Princess Valerie? How promiscuous"

"I assure you," she giggled, pulling me close to her by my shirt, "I'm not flirting with you. I'm just being extra honest to the person I'm interested in."

My breath hitched in my throat, interested in? I glanced up at her, and she bit her lip and nodded at me, giggling through her bright, toothy smile.

"Ah, that's a shame. I was hoping you'd be flirting with me" I sighed, pretending to be sad.

As she came to place her arm on my shoulder, I pulled her into my grasp and sat her on the ledge of a wall, making her yelp.

"Do you want me to flirt with you?" She asked, looking deeply into my eyes, "Truth be told, I already am." She smirked and almost melted into my embrace.

"What are you doing to me?"

"Taking you on a date," I replied, picking her up and putting her back on her feet gently. "Valerie, what are we? What do you want us to be?" I asked seriously, gulping. My heart was beating so fast in my chest all of a sudden, it was like my world was shrinking in on me.

She placed her small hand on my shoulder, and we crossed the street to the nearest park.

"I'm unsure."

"Do you want to be more than friends?" I asked, holding her hand tightly, as if she were going to disappear. She stopped in her tracks and turned to me; a look of sudden fear had washed over her, her smile dropped, and the light in her eyes was gone...

My heart cracked; it joined all the past cracks in my heart; it felt like a jigsaw I was finally about to finish was missing one piece, and that one piece was this feeling, which just ruined the jigsaw again. I was about to ask if she was okay, but she was already back to her normal self, except she ignored my question.

"Oh look! A food truck!" She yelled excitedly, jumping up and down, making me chuckle.

Who cares if she doesn't want to be anything more? At least I can be by her side, unlike other people who can't even talk to the person they like.

"Let's get some! And then we can go check out the fair that's going on," I said, walking over to the truck. I was already planning on bringing her here, so I guess this is just a plus! Score for me!

"Damn, the only food they have is pretty spicy," she said, disappointedly. "Oh well, I guess I'll have the mildest thing you've got!" She informed the cashier.

"I'll have some spicy chicken wings, please," I added, and I put some cash in front of the cashier.

"Vinn-"