Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Vinny, trust me, she cares for you more than you know."

"Right," he laughed, rolling his eyes.

"Okay, I think it's time I own up to something." Ricky sighed. "You've got it all wrong, and it's my fault."

"What do you mean it's your fault?"

▪️

Ricky and Vinny had walked away from the hotel and into a nearby alley.
Ricky pulled out a cigarette and began talking about what had happened.

"You idiots did that. For me? Just to make sure Valerie would stay?" Vinny said in disbelief, "That's too far, even for Chris. I can't imagine how she is feeling."

"I did tell him, but he was adamant he would protect you." Ricky sighed, "You should probably go and talk to her before she decides to leave because of the guilt. I don't know what happened between her and her ex, but I'd talk to her before she does something she'd regret. I know it was abusive."

"Well, for the record, I'm not fucking happy about it, but thanks, I guess, and yeah, I probably should," Vinny sighed, pulling Ricky in for a hug.

"Go, quickly. Seriously. She probably hates Chris right now, and she probably thinks you hate her. She may be more anxious around you if she thinks you don't trust her"

"Yeah, you're right. See you later."

Vinny took off, a thousand ideas racing through his head.

"Is she okay?"

"Should we talk with Chris?"

"I just want to hold her and kiss her."

"Why the fuck did this happen? Everything was going fine."

He ran back inside the hotel and managed to catch an elevator just as it was closing.

He leaned against the back of it, taking deep breaths.

"How fucking stupid can I be for not letting her explain?" He yelled, hitting his head against the mirror, creating a minor crack, "Shit!"

He glanced at the middle-aged man next to him, whom he hadn't realised was there before, "I am so sorry! I'm just going through a rough patch with my girlfriend," Vinny apologized.

"It's okay, young man. "Just make her happy and don't let her go if you love her," the man said, smiling and looking to his right. I lost the love of my life too soon, and I didn't tell her how I truly felt. Don't make the same mistake I did."

Ding

After thanking the man, he sprints out, almost slipping over his feet, and ran to his room, opening it.

He sighed a deep breath as he saw Valerie still standing there, in the same place, in the same position...

He slowly walked over to her, not saying anything. It was as if she hadn't even noticed he was there.

"Val....?" Vinny questioned, moving closer to her

No reply,

"Valerie?" He asked again, concern taking over his face.

Still nothing

"Valerie I'm really sorry. I didn't know what had happened; why didn't you just say something?"

"I-" she croaked out, moving to actually look at Vinny, who gasped at her state.

Her eyes were red, and she was very shaken up; her eyes were looking at him wearily.