Back to School Shopping |chapter 4|

I walked over and my dad started to hand me some cash. "Here is some money for food for you and Cynthia," he told me. I took the cash and hugged him from the side. "Please don't use the knives at home," he whispered, trying not to draw attention. As I let go and slightly nodded. "Katherine," Kevin began. I turned around and he had a hesitant look on his face. "Me and my friend Betty are gonna go shopping in town, want to come?" I couldn't tell how big my smile was but by Kevin's reaction I could tell I was pretty happy. "Alright I'll join Keller," I said. "Jughead!" I yelled, signaling him to come over. "Uhm I was just about to come over and tell you I have to go," he admitted.

For a second I felt my stomach drop. As quickly as it came, I shook it off. "That's fine. Do you want me to walk you home?" I offered. He shook his head. "I'm okay but, I'll see you around Evans?" Jughead said. "Of course Jones," I replied. As quickly as we came, Jughead walked off into the distance. I looked over at Kevin. "When do we start?" I asked. With delight in his eyes, he grabbed my hand and dragged me to his friend Betty's house. After a while of walking. We finally stopped by a two story house with a bright red shiny door. "This is her house?" I asked. He nodded. As we walked up to the door Kevin told me all about her. When he knocked on the door. A typical blonde hair mother with a pink dress on opened the door with the most fake smile ever.

"Well hello Kevin, who is this?" The woman asked. "Hello Mrs. Cooper, this is my friend Kathrine. She's new to town. I was wondering if she wanted to meet Betty," he explained. With her surprised look on her face, she opened the door and we headed up the stairs. When Kevin opened the door I was greeted with a pink room and a blonde girl in the bed with a very high ponytail. "Hey Betty this is Kathrine the one I texted you about," Kevin said, sitting in on her bed. "Hello Katherine," she said. I smiled and sat on the bed by Kevin. "So Cooper, what do you do in your free time?" I asked, looking at her room. "Well I help my parents down at our family register," she said. "They own the town paper?" I asked. She nodded. "So Betty, are you almost ready?" Kevin asked. "Yup," she said, than stopped writing.

We all headed out the door and headed to the small town shopping center. There were a lot of places. For example, Betty's family register and grocery stores. As we walked something caught Betty's eye. "Hey guys can we go in there," she said, pointing to a clothing store. When I looked at the sign I knew it was the store Cynthia owned. "It's new, I've never seen it," she commented. "Yeah, let's go inside. What do you think, Kathrine?" Kevin asked. "Yeah sure. I need some new clothes anyways," I said. When we walked, just like at Pop's, I heard a chime of a doorbell. "Hello, welcome Casual and chic who may I..." she paused looking at the sight of me.

"Hey Cynthia," I said. I could feel Betty and Kevin's eyes on me. "Kathrine, who is this?" Cynthia asked. "These are my friends," I replied. She stepped out from behind the counter and she gestured to rows of clothes. "Down this aisle we have casual for girls and that aisle is casual for guys," she said pointing to the two isles on the left. "This isle is chic for guys and that is chic for girls. And right in the middle is the in between for both guys and girls. The dressing rooms are in the back." As she went back behind the counter, Kevin, Betty, and I went through the isle. "So Betty, what are you looking for?" I asked, looking in the in-between section. "I don't know," she said. "But I didn't know your mom owned this shop." "That's not my mom!" I replied.

"She's your step-mom?" Betty said, finishing my sentence. "Yup," I replied. "So who's your real mom?"She asked. Before I could answer, at the grace of god, Kevin interrupted. "What do you guys think?" He said, holding up a multi-color flannel. "It looks great Kev," Betty chuckled. "I agree," I said. "Hey Katherine, why do you even need to go clothes shopping?" Betty asked. "I sold most of my clothes before I came to make some extra cash. Only got a few hoodies, jeans and only two fancy dresses but one of them is black and the other white," I explained, trying to look like something simple to get.

"Well I know you'll look good in this," Kevin said, holding up one of the cutest plain dresses. It was a short, baby blue dress with cut sleeves. "You should wear that for your first day," Betty smiled. I contemplated if I actually got the dress. But to make my new friends happy, I decided to get it. After a while we all got some other clothes for school and we headed on our way. We talked and laughed all the way to Pop's Chocolate Shop. We grabbed a booth. When Pop came over all of us ordered some burgers, milkshakes and I ordered two extra to take home. We enjoyed our night out. Talking about Riverdale and all the stuff I need to be caught up on before school in a few days.

After we finished our dinner, it wasn't supper late but it was almost dark outside. So I said goodbye to Cooper and Keller and headed my way back home with my new clothes. When I entered the house it was really quiet and cold. I put the extra food in the fridge and headed upstairs to my room. I put the one fancy dress in the closet and the rest in my drawers. I changed out of my clothes into a bra and matching sweats. But before I hit the hay for the night, I really looked at myself in the mirror. All the scars everywhere. All the way to old ones from my mom, to the fresh ones on my arms. I wish that night could have gone differently. Maybe he would still be with me. I just missed him. So much. Even though I couldn't live with him, I still am.