Chapter 2:In the Middle of The Night

The night came as she with Smoky followed her. "Alright, you ready buddy?" She asked as they met their destination which was outside the main road. He barked as they seem to comply with the idea. She watch from afar to mark the timing so that they wouldn't notice him snatching as she called "The Doggy Eye trap."

Smoky would pretend to be begging for any free pets, food, etc. as Yurei would still be what they needed causing great distress from the stall. She watch as the client was talking to someone with a red bandana. 'They look like bad news' she thought as she was thinking about it but there was no time to turn back.

She watches as they seem to strike a deal with someone. "Go beg" she commanded as she gave the hand signal. Smoky strutted over fast but kept a slow pace. "Huh?" They looked to see a husky looking at them with the cutest puppy eyes as she perched on top of the building. "Come on, look at that cute face" she whispered to herself as she watch the movement.

"What's a dog like you doing here?" They asked as they went for a pet. 'Bingo' she thought as she carefully snuck down and hid behind the stall she took a glance and found the written letters and notes about people. 'Strike Gold' she thought.

"Hey, what are you doing?" They asked as they turned around but they were tackled by Smoky. "Good boy, now bolt" she commanded as she started running with her dog taking off at the same time. It was the middle of the night so not many were out. She made a note of the stall to report them later. Smoky claws clacked against the concrete as she readies themselves for the worse.

Pulling out a device, she saw how the frost danced around. It was a device with a cryo-like effect and helped make a mist cover and made for grand escapes. "Melt" she called out as she watch the fire grow from her hands and under the blanket of stars, she vanish.

"Good Morning Scaramouche" Nahida called as she enter the room with Cyno just in case things got rocky. He grumbled a response back as he did not want anything to do with them so early on in the morning.

"We may have a special assignment for you to do some good work" she cheered happily as she sat on the ground criss-cross. "Yay," he mocked as he rolled his eyes. It's been like this for a couple of weeks as he had to prove he could no longer do any harm. That meant constant supervision from Cyno to help him as Nahida seem to take on the motherly role.

"There's a thief out in the cities, although no harm has happened it causing a lot of distress in the markets" "And that's my concern why?" he asked as he seemed to care too little. "Well, you did try to destroy a whole nation."

Scaramouche looked over at her as she seemed to smile. "Fine" he grumbled as he looked over at Cyno who seemed to nod in approval. "Great, I'll start having people get ready."

"Looks like they were part of some sort of kidnapping" Yurei stated as she read the letters. "If we hadn't gotten that information sooner," she said to herself as she scratch her dog's chin. "We did great work, let's have someone turn this in for us," she said as she looked over at her bounty.

"See, good can be disguised as bad," she said out loud. Suddenly it started pouring down rain. "Rain, quick Smoky" she called out. She helped the dog carry a tarp over to help place it over the top of the makeshift hut she had. "Hold down" she then nailed it into the ground. 'Leaving out in the forest is easy' she thought as she felt anger rise through her.

She envy those who had a nice home and fresh food that they didn't have to check and see if it was poison, anything she known that wasn't like the birds she gave to Smoky. Anything else was a gambling chance of stopping everything while being treated. Thankfully, those who had stumbled upon her when she needed help were mostly travelers heading toward Sumeru.

They often landed her a hand and she was careful as well. 'Maybe one day will live like that' she thought as she huddled inside. 'For now, there are too many wrongdoers.'