Chapter 11: The Eye

Shadow stood in front of a store with Scaramouche. "Thief first," he said as he stepped aside. "Scared I'm gonna pickpocket you?" She asked as she walked in with Smoky trailing behind and huffed at him.

Cyno had to meet somewhere else and left the two of them alone. Looking in the shop, there were handcrafted items across shelves that scholars would use to make new items of the invention. " Shadow looked around as a feeling of unease swallowed her in the pit of her stomach. Smoky was sniffing some items and the muscles seemed to tense. "Watch your back, things might get ugly" she whispered to Scaramouche who seemed to be in his world. 

"You're not alone in that sense" he commented as they walked in sync. Approaching the desk seemed to be the shopkeeper. "Welcome, is there anything I can help you with today?" They asked. Something about the tone didn't seem right. "Yes, we're currently working with General Mahamatra about a recent event concerning the Akademiya" Shadow stated as she pulled out what looked like to be a statement of the sort.  

"I see, well what questions do you have?" They asked. "You have tools and wares of all sorts and by curiosity, did you sell them to someone who seemed a bit off?" Shadow phrased it carefully to see if it would set up a lie or a trap of some sort as Smoky seemed to still be tensed as his panting was heavy. She watched as they think carefully of their answer as Scaramouche seemed to be getting impatient. 

"I can't think of one sorry" they answered. Shadow was about to say something before Scaramouche cut her off. "A blatant and bold lie if I must say so." Shadow nodded. "If you may, I would like to know if you had any wares that would be able to make something like this" she then pulled out a theory that she had drawn herself that could be proven. She then crossed her arms as she made sure the metal one stood out the most to make a warning. "Well you see Shadow," they said as they spit out her name with venom laced in every word but she remained unfazed as she was expecting the treatment as such. 

She had a mask covering the bottom half of her face while the top remain exposed but her lips curved downwards. 

"I would sell nothing of the sort to something so shady" and "I have obligations you would" is another trap this time but Scaramouche but it seemed more forceful. 'Calm down, we don't need to terrify them' she thought to herself as it could backfire on them both at this rate. "Look, even if something were to be made like this, it would be impossible to make all in one night they took almost eight" they stopped as they realized information slipped. 

"Eight what?" Before they knew it, they threw a fist at them. Shadow stood in front of Scaramouche as she went for a block to hold their hand so they couldn't move which result in a kick but she let out a whistle causing Smoky to bite it, hard enough to prevent from harm coming to her but hard enough where teeth were sinking in. 

The owner then was pinned. "The eye cast its gaze upon you and you're going to talk" Shadow still kept her cool as to what she was feeling. Why would anyone want to help aid someone who meant harm? So many questions were screaming through her. "Get your dog off me" they yelled as they struggled. "Eight what?" She asked as Scaramouche stayed back. 

"Eight weeks, it took them eight weeks," they said frantically. "Name" She demanded. "I don't know, please just take whatever you need," they said. "Smoky, off" she commanded and the dog let go as they walked out. 

"And that's what happened," Shadow said as she looked at Tighnari as he checked her wound Cyno seemed to have a slight look of disbelief. "Your tactics seem a bit aggressive but will talk about that later." Scaramouche just sat in a chair as he was not allowed to be without supervision. "I'm curious about this "Eye" you mention can you explain it?" Tighnari asked as he took a seat.  "It is an old tale" Before she could tell anymore,  Scaramouche interrupted "if you sing, I'll puke right here on this floor" he warned. Collie seemed to have something to say before she could say it Shadow did. 

"You want to hear the story or not?" She asked as she looked at him annoyed.