Chapter 17

Yurei wasn't able to rest easy. The past few days she worked hard and ignored a burning feeling of something being off. It was in the pit of her stomach and it wouldn't go away. It was as if it was trying to warn her of something, something that she should chase after. Picking up Arrow's vision it still had the glow of green. 'Maybe I'm overthinking things' she thought as she shook her head.

She sat at the edge of the bridge as she was brought back Cyno had something to attend to and the thoughts were plaguing in her mind. Her metal arm was off so all there was is a nub with nothing hiding it. "There you are" Scaramouche stated as he spotted her.

She turned to face him as he sat down. "Tighnari said you would be" he was cut off when he noticed her arm was nowhere in sight and her dog seems to just lay behind her. "What, lost your bite?" she asked as she put the vision in her pocket. He didn't say anything as he sat down beside her.

Silence filled the air for a short bit as you could hear everything around them. No bickering, no fighting, just quiet.

"You seem to be bothered by something" was all he stated causing her to chuckle. "I have no idea what you're talking about" she tried to hide it but her voice shook a little. "You lost someone didn't you" it was more of a statement than a fact. She sighed as she looked over at him. "Didn't think I was easy to read" she stated.

She grabbed her nub as she stared down as she stated "I lost someone, someone who was a little sister to me" Scaramouche listened as he held back whatever comment he wanted to make.

"It was supposed to be a quick in and out job, we were both young as we both were well trained and had Smoky with us but he had no name" she took a breath.

When we reached the camp we were given the command to scout and make sure there was no one there. We both checked and Smoky followed me and made sure he had my back. When we looked there were three maybe on my side as it was a wide camp. Getting ready, I pulled out my bow and was ready to take aim as I had enough coverage. At this time, I didn't have my vision and neither did they.

When I was doing so I made an error and that was you waited for a full proof plan when you met back up. I was confident in my abilities and took the shot. I don't remember much other than screaming to get out and Smoky being trapped in the fire as I tried to rescue them.

When I woke up, I was given a full report and I lost them and my arm which according was cut off by the enemy.

Yurei was in tears by the end as she was holding them back but it turned into sobs as Smoky tried to offer comfort. "I should've been the one dead" was all she could muster out. Scaramouche didn't know what to do except hold them awkwardly. "I made the mistake, I was arrogant and did something against the code."

Scaramouche noticed how much her body trembled as she turned and grabbed onto him. It was like a child trying desperately to hold onto their parent. She tried to get something out but it was barely audible.

If it was someone else, he would tell them to suck it up and be over with. For once though, he didn't.

A few hours passed and she finally was able to calm down. "You may never view me as such, but you're like a younger brother and I can never stand the sight of you being hurt." He was stunned but never said anything.

So that's what her being defensive about even when they visited Nahida and things took a turn for the worse. He didn't say anything but he did flick her a little bit. "Don't you mean an older brother?" "Wait how old are you?"

He gave her a deadpan look and shoved her away as he stormed off. "Wait where you going?" She yelled as she chased after him. "To make you a grave" he yelled. Never in his days would he believe he would become the eldest sibling to her but he didn't think he was young enough to look like a younger brother. "Oh come on, don't be mean."

Tighnari turned a corner to see the pair fighting one another. "If they keep this up I'm sure they'll kill each other..." he thought outloud.