06

"Imani. Just the person I need."I looked up from my book and saw Simone who gave me a small smirk.

"What can I do for you?"I asked as I placed my book face down on my study desk.

"I need you to be there for Thea's surprise party."she said as she gave me a small smile which made me look at her strangely.

"Thea? Tennis Thea?"I asked as I looked up at her which made her nod.

"Simone, when I'm in a friendship with someone and they don't get along with someone I usually stay away from the person they don't get along with."I explained which made her nod her head.

"I get that but I really want to do this for her, she doesn't celebrate her birthday."she said as she frowned and pulled me off my bed.

"Okay, okay."I muttered as I followed her to the main part of the building where I saw a few people standing there which included Nate and Keisha who looked unimpressed.

"Okay, I'm going to go fetch Thea."she said as she walked away.

"What is she doing?"I asked as I looked up at Nate and Keisha.

"Girl, I have no idea."Keisha said as she shrugged her shoulders.

"There are no people here. Where are her team mates?"I asked as I looked around the empty place.

"They didn't want to come because they know that Thea doesn't celebrate her birthday."Nate said as she rolled her eyes at me.

"This is just sad though."I said with a small frown, Thea and Simone then emerged from the corner which made Nate, Keisha and I say Surprise with as much effort as we could.

"See. This is why I didn't want a party in the first place."Thea mumbled as she looked at all of us before she walked away which made Simone look at us.

"Uh-huh."Nate said as she shook her head which made Simone frown.

I sighed as I switched on the light and walked back to the group.

"Well that was a bust."Simone mumbled as she looked at us.

"To be honest, Thea isn't a very nice person."I muttered as I scratched the back of my ear.

"Keisha. I would like to file a complaint."I looked at the girl who rudely stepped into our conversation without even greeting.

"What is it this time, Melinda?"Keisha nonchalantly asked as she looked at her.

"I know that Nathaniel has been staying with Simone. He can't risk our safety by using up our resources."She said which made me look at her in disgust.

"Listen here baby. You better come to Nate correct. She identifies as She, I need you to respect that alright baby? Don't you ev--"I said as I stepped up to her but Nate cut me off.

"It's okay, Imani."Nate said as she looked down at me.

"Let's go get paperwork so you can file your complaint."Keisha said as she walked off making Melinda follow her.

"Why did you stop, Imani? You know she's right. She misgendered you on purpose to get on your nerves."Simone said as she looked up at Nate.

"I know she's trying to stir me up but I won't react. None of that deserves my attention. Thank you, Imani. I know who I am and if I had to correct people everytime I'd run out of air."Nate said as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Karen."Simone mumbled which made Nate and I laugh.

"I'll handle it if you don't."Simone said as she rolled her eyes.