12 - He's the monster...

This chapter has a TW of emotional, mental, and physical abuse. Abusive language and actions from Steve's father to  younger Steve in a flashback.

<><><><>

🎶Elephant ~ Tame Impala🎶
He pulled the mirrors off his Cadillac
'Cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back
He talks like his opinion is a simple fact
Somebody grabbed his collar
He cried the whole way home
No one remembered a thing when they saw him again
That's how it is 'til the end

As they enter the room, Robin almost slams the door. "Rob wait-" Steve gets interrupted as she grabs him by the shirt and pulls him to her.

"As we both know, Dustin thinks Brenner gave El her powers, right? And you can't remember how you got yours either." She whispers, handing him a newspaper.

---

CONTROVERSIAL SCIENTIST GAINS SUPPORT

---

Steve looks at the front cover and instantly has a flood of memories come back to him

~~~~~

"Dad, I'm really not looking forward to all the paparazzi here." Steve says to his father as they ride in the limo to Brenner Industries.

"You need to be there. It's good for the publicity to know I have a child that I can take care of. So, you're going to stand there and support me." His father spits back as they pull up to the event. "Now shut up, don't talk, and follow me. If you get asked questions, remember what we talked about, and practiced."

"Yes dad." Steve replies. 'I'm not just your reputation maker.' he thinks to himself and smiles with his dad as they step out of the limo.

They find Brenner and his father starts to talk to him as Steve stands at his side. A newscaster comes up to Steve and starts to bombard him with questions.

"What is it like having you father as one of the uprising scientists in Hawkins?" She asks.

"I- Um he is doing good for the world. And he still makes time to spend with me." Huge lie.

"What do you think about him being seen as controversial?" Another question.

"He... Um... I think that um... He isn't doing anything wrong. He is a scientist with a goal. A goal with good intentions. So, if anything, I um don't think he is controversial." Steve is trying to make good of the situation.

"What are you going to do if your father becomes more famous? That is if Dr. Brenner agrees to support him?"

"Br- Brenner doesn't have a reason to not support him. My um... father is a good person. And I know if he gets this contract, it will help my family a lot." Steve feels absolutely horrible. All of these lies he has to say. It won't help his family. His dad is not a good person. Especially to Steve.

After a few pictures and more questions, the news had come that Brenner agreed to support Steve's father.

His dad grabs him by the collar of his shirt and brings him to a corner where no one else can see them.

He smacks Steve on the back of the head. "You fucking embarrassment. Stuttering over you words when asked simple questions. You didn't even stick to the script for them. How fucking hard is it to repeat what we practiced so many times?"

"I tried my best! You know I don't like paparazzi! I don't want to be famous like you!" Steve protests.

"You're going to shut your mouth, and not say another God damned word to any other question. If they ask, you ignore them and come to me. Got it?"

"Yes dad..." He tears up and walks to the bathroom, tears forming in his eyes. He stares into the mirror with tears of straight frustration falling down his cheeks.

Steve gasps as he feels a sharp pain on his hand, looking down at it to see a dead spider by his hand on the counter.

~~~~~

"Steve? Are you ok?" Robin asks, seeing him disassociated for a bit too long from shock.

Steve looks at her with worry plastered onto his face. "Dustin is right about Brenner."

"What?" Robin asks as she follows him back out to the kids.

Steve looks at them all. "Dustin is right about Brenner. You all are. He's the real monster here. And if we're gonna fight him, there's something you ALL should know." He shoots his webs to the ceiling and pulls himself up, looking at the others below, all looking up in awe. He flips and lands on the ground in the iconic Spider-Man pose. One leg stretched out, other on his knee. Hand stretched out behind, and one on the ground.

Dustin breaks the silence. "That flip was a bit much..."

"That's so cool. Our Steve? Spider-Man!" El exclaims in excitement.

"Rad." Max smiles at him.

"And here I thought you were too much of a pussy to ever win a fight." Mike says in shock and denial.

Will and Lucas glare at him. "Can you please shut your mouth until you think through what you're going to say?" Will practically begs.