Chapter 40: Yuzu's Embarrassment

Yuzu returns home awkwardly closing the blue tinted door behind herself quietly with a thud, still unable to erase the horrifying image of naked Matsuri overshadowing Harumin from above. Just days earlier Harumi had sincerely confessed to her and Yuzu had managed to somehow reject her friend by reminding her that her feelings remained unchanged for Mei. However, it seems that Yuzu was starting to feel somewhat upset, she knew that she loved Mei, but seeing Harumin doing such things with her childhood friend had really came to shock her mind beyond belief. She was disappointed, somewhat awkwardly sad and lost for words, but more so - she was worked up that things would never be the same between them ever again.

She felt like she'd never be able to see her best friend under the same light again after she witnessed the two girls engaging in such close intimacy.

It was like their friendship was doomed from that moment onwards

....

"Yuzu.. it's unusual for you to be this late."

Mei walks towards her, folding her arms in a stern manner as she closes her Shakespearean book,  eagerly glaring at the blonde who was all wet and soaked from the rain. It seems she had walked the distance instead of taking the bus home, and now she was completely drenched in cold-rain, her clothes completely soaked from top to bottom, her expression confusing and oddly strange to comprehend.

It almost looked like Yuzu had seen a ghost and ran all the way home, she was that pale, shook, broken and oddly sad.

............................

"Ah.. ah sorry Mei!"

....

"Achuu!"

She sneezes, wiping her nose quickly.

Yuzu tries to play it safe by casting a shade on her usual behaviour, as she carefully removes her wet sneakers and puts on her fluffy cat slippers without another word, ignoring the fact that Mei wasn't there to chit-chat, and she had not moved an inch ever since Yuzu came back late.

She tries to walk past Mei upstairs without a word, but the black haired girl puts her arm out, preventing Yuzu from grabbing bail and escaping as she stops Yuzu in her tracks completely, her are sharply eyes fixated onto her like a hawk squeezing its prey.

She demanded to know where Yuzu was.

"Where were you?"

Mei demands sternly expressionless, coldly inquiring into her whereabouts almost like a concerned parent treating Yuzu like a child that had gone past her curfew time. It seems she was overly concerned for her upon witnessing her pathetic state.

"I..I was at Matsuri's house, picking up some books I lent"

Yuzu admitted scratching her head, half-heartedly with dismay, as she lowered her blue gaze quietly, while cold droplets of water slowly dropped down from her messy blonde hair onto the wooden floor boards below.

"Can I go now?"

She looked back up at Mei who wasn't buying her story. Her hand remained firmly extended preventing Yuzu from leaving as she held her arms extended against the wall to prevent any passage through.

"No."

Mei replied nonchalantly unimpressed, she tried to understand the situation better as Yuzu continued to stray from the topic in an attempt to avoid conversation, but her hunches told her there was more than the girl was conveying. 

"I'm not allowing you to pass until you explain yourself properly."

Mei raises her voice sternly to remind her who had authority here, as she tried to persuade Yuzu into compliance, only to have Yuzu sigh out and finally come to terms instead of dodging and trying to evade the subject altogether.

Yuzu sighed, knowing she had no way out, but to come clean about this.

"....Okay.."

Within several moment Yuzu takes a step back and sits on the wet floor throwing off her rain drenched jacket as she tries to explain the situation to Mei who still felt something was oddly off. Yuzu tries to explain what she had witnessed and she tries to express her discomfort in the situation she had found herself in, only to leave Mei with more questions.

"I saw Harumin with Matsuri-..."

Her expression twists into awkwardness as she covers her eyes, trying to hide her embarrassment from Mei, as her cheeks started to lit up scarlet pink. 

"Hm?"

Mei looks oddly puzzled, tilting her head to the side, as she hands Yuzu a towel to dry her hair, while continuing to carefully observe and listen to the blonde girl, who cleaned herself in the white towel, trying to scream into the towel, in an attempt to cast away the embarrassment.

"I SAW THEM-"

Yuzu raises her tone, still leaving Mei confused as she cannot seem to say those inappropriate words that seemed to sit on the edge of her tongue.

She wipes her hair clean and looks back at Mei momentarily.

"Ugh.. I can't say it!"

She hides her face into the towel awkwardly.

Still utterly confused and unaware of what transpired, Mei slowly bends down to her knees, and carefully extends her palm to Yuzu's forehead, trying to ensure her girlfriend was not hallucinating as she checked her temperature and smelt no alcohol in her breath, before finally recollecting herself back up to her feet and crossing her arms sternly once more.

"You saw what?"

Mei gets directly to the chase, almost as if pulling Yuzu by the tongue. She wasn't going to allow this topic to slip and slide away without proper explanation. It seems she was starting to become quite curious about what had scared Yuzu so much to prevent her from using her freedom of speech.

"T..This!"

Yuzu tries to gesture to Mei with her hand movements to demonstrate the situation, she shoved a finger into her fist to demonstrate intimacy, as her tongue wouldn't spin and rattle to utter such heinous words. It seems she was to shy to admit the damage dealt to her from witnessing such a chaotic event.

"I... I saw them...f..f...FUCKING n-nude!"

Yuzu finally bursts out the sentence she had tried so desperately to hold in, but to no avail. Her face had been rotten red like a red tomato by now. She was ripe with sheer awkwardness and embarrassment as Mei continued to blankly stare at her like a criminal, while Yuzu just hid her face in the towel, hoping Mei would leave the subject.

"Oh."

Mei responds nonchalantly, unimpressed. 

"Why didn't you knock, Yuzu?"