29

Mateo POV
6 years ago
Date: July 4th 2017
Time: 2:07pm
TW: DV MENTIONED
*domestic violence*

My mother parked her car in the apartment complex of her friends house.

She told me that we would be spending time with her today, instead of sending me to my dads house because she was suppose to have me this holiday, while my sister was spending time with him.

I envied the fact that I didn't have this holiday with my father but my sister did, it's not that I didn't enjoy time with my mother. If anything I preferred being with her than him, it's just that I had more fun spending time with him other than my mother.

The divorce has been okay, I thinks it's because they try to put an act on when Maria and I are around like they're happy, but I'm not dumb I know that my mother can't stand to look at him after what he did.

Sometimes I feel guilty for enjoying times with him when it's just us because I remember the letters.

All of the letters my mother wrote and spent time on like they were coming from him.

The excitement I got when I got a letter from the mail box with his name on it like he actually cared to write his son while in prison, they weren't even coming from him. They were coming from my own mother. The same letters with his name on it were being written in the same household as me.

"Fuera el maeto", my mother yelled as I remained seated in the backseat.

*Get out the car Maeto*.

I opened the car door and followed my mother up the steps of the apartment complex.

It reminded me a lot of my cousins apartment we went to last summer because of the way the stairs curved around the corner.

My mother had already gave me a prep talk before coming to her friends house.

She told me to make sure I was respectful and on my best behavior.

She also told me that her friend had a daughter around the same age as me so I wouldn't be alone, and that they probably send us upstairs or outside to play with the rest of the kids in the apartment complex while they chatted about work and other "grown peoples business", until they took us to the park to see the fireworks show.

My mother stood in front of apartment number 169 and knocked softly on the door.

A older women opened the door to the apartment, she looked like she was around the age of 70.

"Hola, entra, entra," she stated.

*Hi, come in, come in*.

My mother let me enter inside the apartment before her. I could smell the fresh scent of tamales being made in the kitchen.

Another women with shiny hair walked up to my mother with greeting eyes and began to hug her.

"Hola, Sofía... me alegro de que hayas podido venir.", she stated to my mother.

*Hi, Sofia... I'm glad you could come*.

"Ay Sofia esta es mi madre Lola", she stated turning her attention to her mother and back to mine.

*Oh, Sofia this is my mother Lola*.

My mother leaded in an gave her a hug as the younger women attention turned to me.

"And who might this be", she asked.

"This is Mateo", my mother stated pushing me towards both of them.

"Dónde está el otro pequeño", she asked my mother.

*Wheres the other little one*.

"Ella está con su papá estas vacaciones Mateo está diciendo conmigo esta vez".