Chapter Three: It Follows

Its eyes glowed through the darkness like floating white orbs. Another flash of lightning and its whole figure was shown. The animatronic just stood there, every joint of its body twitched as it looked back at Nick, the heavy rain and the bursts of lightning never seemed to bother it. Its remaining leather skin was soaked by the droplets of water with thick dark blood oozing from the decaying cadaver inside.

   A loud thunderclap caused a power surge, putting out the lights of the hospital and the streetlights outside for a short period of time. And when the lights returned, the animatronic was gone.

   He was torn between reality and imagination, the poor man was going insane, he does not know what to do but to escape this place. His whole body ached as he tried to get out of his bed. He was not yet allowed to move since the burns haven't completely healed yet, but staying in his room like a sitting duck was much worse.

   He yanked out the tube from his arm, letting blood flow through the open wound. He then removed the heart rate monitor from his chest and the other medical apparatuses that were linked to him. He dropped to the floor and the impact sent surges of pain through his body. The burns on his legs made contact with the cold tiles and created friction as he dragged himself towards a pair of crutches near the door.

   Nick was able to reach the crutches then forced himself to stand up, trembling as he stood up on both his legs. He hobbled slowly towards the door and reached for the knob. The door budged open and he peeked out: the hallway was dead silent and was dimly lit as the fluorescent lights were faulty. He got out of his room and turned left and at the far end of the corridor was a dark grey door with the label:

SURVEILLANCE ROOM

   He hurriedly limped towards the room, every hop shocked his body and he was staining his white hospital gown with his own blood. He swayed side to side as he made his way to the room, half blind by large bandage that covered a portion of his left eye.

   Then his knees gave way and he slumped next to a wall, it felt like everything would collapse on him.

   The cries for help he was hearing in his dreams came back.

    "Help us... Help us..."

   He shut his eyes and covered his ears, "Stop." Nick cried, grasping his hair and tugging on it as tears were flowing uncontrollably down his face.

   He was losing it.

   But Nick managed to force himself to standing up and continuing to go to the room but was still terrorized by the pleas for help.

   "Leave me alone! Please!" He whimpered.

   The storm never stopped. Instead, it poured harder along with the loud rumbling thunder, muffling his screams for help.

   He managed to get into the room, shoving the door open before collapsing on the floor. He pulled his numb legs inside then locked the door behind him.

   In front of him were four monitors that displayed various places of the hospital: camera one had the footage of the parking lot, pointed at the main entrance for the cars. Camera two had a video feed of the second floor hallway and its dim faulty lights. The third monitor showed the hallway where he was earlier, while the last screen had the video of the area near the door of the surveillance room. All of the feeds were dark, as only a few lights were turned on.

   He pulled himself up the chair, sat on it and watched the cameras, monitoring every section of the place.

   It was happening all over again.