Chapter Six: Save Them

The door creaked open, Nick limped inside with Jodi assisting him and they were both drenched with rainwater, Nick's bloodstained hospital gown was dripping on the tiled floor moistened by the rain. Jodi had Nick's arm around her the entire time to help him walk about, she was also as messy as him, her white uniform was stained with crimson and dirt, her sleeve was torn and also her skirt.

   In front of them was a narrow hallway brightly lit by the florescent lamp on the ceiling, at the end of the hall was a flight of stairs, one leading up one floor while the other led to the basement. Both their sides had at least five doors each, all of which were made of wood but had a distinct number.

   "Up the stairs." Nick said. They approached the stairs and he grabbed on the railing then looked at Jodi.

   "On three... One, two, three." She counted and Nick lifted up his foot followed by the one in the cast, he was able to tolerate the pain. They repeatedly did it until they reached the first floor.

   "Here." He pointed to his right where a brown door was, same as the others but had a different room number.

87

   "It's my old folks' place. They left it in my care when they moved away two years ago." Nick bent down on the front door mat and lifted it and a small key was duck taped to the underside. Then he unlocked the door and pushed it open, nothing but pitch black. He reached out and switched on the lights, the place was not too big but it was cozy enough to accommodate them both.

   "We should stay here for a while." Jodi said before she laid him on the couch. Both of them had exhaustion marked on their faces.

   Nick said, "It has to end now."

   Jodi stood up, "Not with that injured leg of yours." She pointed to his leg in a thick cast.

   "Let me try walking." He added.

   "Are you sure?" Jodi replied worriedly.

   He took a deep breath and nodded, "I'm sure."

   Jodi gently let Nick stand on his own and he tried maintaining his balance on the new cast he had on his leg. He wobbled as Jodi took steps away from him, he lifted his good leg and placed it forward then his other leg followed. At first he was clumsily walking as pain stung his leg, but after little more walks, the pain gradually decreased and turned into a dull sting that he could bear.

   Nick willed himself to walk again, because he wasn't gonna sit around and let that thing get him, they have to help the children and fight Springtrap. She smiled upon seeing him being able to walk.

   "We need a change of clothes." He said before slowly walking to his room and into his cabinet with Jodi following behind. He took out a plain black shirt and gave it to her, "Will this do?" He asked her with uncertainty.

   "Yeah." She smiled before taking the shirt. She unfolded it and it was bigger than her size but she just shrugged and placed them on her shoulder, "Maybe I should stick with the skirt though." She chuckled, "May I use your bathroom?"

   "Sure, go ahead." He nodded.

   "Thanks." She went towards the door opposite the room he was in but suddenly stopped and glanced back at Nick, "Do you need some help with your clothes?" She asked politely.

   "Nope," He smirked, "I can manage it."

   Jodi sighed, closed back the door and went to help Nick. She grabbed the new shirt and unbuttoned his hospital gown.

   "I can manage it." He chuckled, "Really." He looked into her eyes that twinkled.

   "I insist." She said, "You're my patient, and I have the right to make sure you're okay." She smiled.