Chapter Nine: Nowhere is Safe

Jodi jumped the moment she came face to face with the barrels of the guns when suddenly a flash of lightning illuminated the people: two tall men, one in his mid-thirties, brown eyes, crooked nose and thick stubble, while the other one was in his late forties, grey thinning hair, blue eyes and wearing a brown coat in contrast to his companion whom was wearing a black coat. Their stares were intimidating. Behind them was a black car with a small light flashing red and blue.

   They lowered their weapons, "Ms. Bronson?" The younger one asked and she nodded, he held her shoulders and looked at her "Are you alright? Did he hurt you?" He spotted her bloodied skirt before searching for more wounds.

   She was relieved, it was the help they needed, She wrapped her arms around the two and cried, "Help us, Nick's still in there, he's gonna kill him!" She cried, tugging on their shirt.

   "You watch over Ms. Bronson, I'll look for Fisher." Thompson said, motioning them to the car.

   The younger detective took off his coat and placed it around Jodi, "Come on, let's get you back to the car." He urged her outside with his arms around her shoulder.

   "Please, hurry! He needs your help!" She struggled with her legs were trembling as they walked along the wet road to the parked cruiser on the road. She looked behind them and watched the other detective turn on his flashlight, loaded his gun and ventured into the dark hallway.

   Scott opened the backseat door and let Jodi in, "P-please, h-help him." Her eyes watered.

   "Stay calm, Ma'am. Thompson will find that son of a bitch." The officer went to the driver's seat and locked themselves inside.

   Jodi was drenched again by the rain, not even the thickness of the coat could stop her shaking. She was trembling everywhere, her teeth gnashing against each other, both cold and shaken by her encounter with the animatronic. The terrifying image of the rabbit haunted her mind: large glowing eyeballs, bone-chilling laugh, menacing stare, demonic grin and the smell of rotting flesh. However, she was worried about Nick as they were separated back inside the apartment with him leading the killer away giving her a chance to escape.

   "What happened back there?" asked Scott.

   She slowly moved her head to look at the detective and tried recalling what happened, "I-It killed my friend, i-it wants us dead." She was at a loss at words.

   "'It'?" He wrinkled his forehead.

   "It's not human." She stared blankly into nothingness, "I-it's not h-human."

___________

   Thompson stepped inside the house, pointing his flashlight up front an illuminating the narrow hallway with doors on each side and a flight of stairs near the center. There was only the rumbling of the clouds outside as the rain continued to pour.

   The detective silently treaded the place, going discreetly as he could while making his way to the stairs. He gripped his gun tightly as beads of sweat began to drip from his forehead.

   He finally reached the first landing of the stairs, beaming his flashlight around before pointing it to the second floor. As soon as he reached the level, he saw one of the rooms were open, room number 87.

   Upon closer inspection, he noticed that the door frame appeared to have been violently removed, with the actual door on the floor partially destroyed, the hinges were left on the frame, hanging by a single screw. He was about to walk inside when he noticed wet unusual rectangular prints resembling the ones back in the hospital leading away from the room and going up the stairs. Thompson decided to track it down, following it while looking around before seeing scratch marks on the railing of the stairs.