Chapter 16

POV: Reed

"We're overdue for a serious discussion," I announced before taking a sip of my piping-hot coffee.

Somehow I'd managed to untangle myself from the gorgeous woman in my sheets this morning to find everyone milling about the kitchen.

We normally trained around this time, so I knew they'd be up. I figured we should work through our shit and get on the same page before approaching Sloan about our relationship status. She'd been through enough, and the last thing I wanted to do was stress her out.

"Where's Sloan?" Avery inquired, taking a seat before the kitchen island. He appeared uncharacteristically on edge as he lifted a piece of toast to his mouth with a shaky hand.

All of the guys looked at me then. "In my bed, sleeping. That's why we need to talk."

Deacon chirped, "I'm glad someone finally brought it up."

That was encouraging. Maybe this conversation wouldn't be as complicated as I'd initially anticipated.

Evidently, I wasn't the only one with this topic on their mind. We also knew each other too well to tiptoe around the elephant in the room. "I think we're all aware of the fact that more than one of us is currently hooking up with Sloan. I know it's deeper than that, but as a doctor, I have a tendency not to mince words."

Sumner snorted. "God, Reed. You're worse than a vegan or CrossFit bro sometimes."

He had me there. I'd spent the majority of my life in school, honing my craft, so I boasted quite a bit about my vocation. Bragging rights were also one of the few consolation prizes for the daily carnage I endured.

I knew I could count on Avery to recenter the conversation since he was used to wrangling unruly classrooms. "So, how is this supposed to work? We all date her at the same time?"

Deacon shrugged. "I'm cool with it if y'all are."

I looked around the room. No one seemed uncomfortable or like they were biting their tongue, which was a good sign.

Sumner flashed a wide grin. "I'm down, obviously." He'd never been a fan of monogamy so no surprise there.

"Same," Avery added. "I just want her to be happy, whatever form that might take."

My shoulders lowered a bit at that. "Then we all agree, we're dating Sloan. No jealousy or weirdness. No giving her a hard time about her choices. And if for some reason, our dynamic isn't working for anyone, we talk it through like adults?"

Everyone nodded, then Sumner prompted, "So...what now?"

I took another sip of coffee before responding. "I think the next step is to include her in this discussion to see how she feels about it and what the ground rules are."

"You don't think she'd turn us down do you?" Sumner asked, concern lacing his rich tenor.

The rest of us exchanged knowing looks.

"Doubt it," Deacon said wryly. "I've hinted at as much, and she didn't seem put off by the idea."

I remembered how wet she'd been, and the way she'd come around my fingers when I'd suggested we bed her together. "She's definitely not put off. Far from it."

Deacon lifted a black brow in my direction. "Oh? Do tell, Dr. Jones."

A grin split my face. "I may have suggested the four of us fuck her at the same time. And she may have had a very strong, very positive reaction to it."