Chapter 22

POV: Sumner

When we began packing up the equipment, Sloan brought me a refreshing Negroni cocktail and a bottle of water before disappearing into the crowd. Twenty minutes later, I managed to excuse myself from my bandmates to search for her.

It didn't take long to locate the prettiest woman in the room. She was at the bar again, smiling down at her phone.

As I approached, I noted how her long tawny locks were beginning to fade to their natural flaxen hue. I considered tugging on one of the golden-brown strands hanging at her waist to get her attention. Startling her didn't seem particularly wise, though, after what I'd witnessed on the training mat. She'd likely break my nose as a reflex.

Instead, I peered over her shoulder and saw a group pic of Reed, Avery, and Deacon clanking their frosty beer steins together. I knew instantly what restaurant they were at and what they'd been doing all day.

It was considerate of them to check in with her like that, and I loved the visible happiness she exuded now as a result. The photo also reinforced that they were more than fine with Sloan and I being on a date.

"Got a case of the FOMOs?" I asked.

Sloan swiveled around on her barstool, phone forgotten on the countertop as she stared up at me. She smacked me on the chest.

"Why didn't you tell me you were such hot shit, Sumner?"

I laughed. "I was going for shock value tonight, sunshine."

Truth be told, I'd become a minor celebrity since moving back to New Orleans. I never bragged about what I did because people already knew. It made most of my interactions, particularly with women, feel fake and hollow. Living in Savannah all those years was probably the only reason I still had a shred of humility left.

She gave me a mock salute. "Mission fucking accomplished."

My emotions were still running high after our last song. That moment we shared wasn't something I'd ever forget. I knew I needed to touch her right now, to feel her skin on mine.

I nestled between her thighs and kissed the shit out of her. Her hand fisted my shirt, pulling me closer. Some very interesting parts of our bodies were lined up now. I grabbed her hips, moving her away, as I tried to get control of my dick.

As much as I wanted her, I didn't want to make our relationship purely about sex. Now that she had her own stud farm, it was important to me that we nourished our emotional connection.

She wasn't having any of it though, wiggling out of my grasp and pressing herself against me once more.

I started to say her name but caught myself just in time. "Lexa." She so wasn't a Lexa, but I needed to be more careful if I wanted to protect her.

"Love," she corrected, grinding on the most sensitive part of me.

My body jerked in response. "Sweet baby Jesus, love. I'm hard as a rock right now."

She smirked mischievously. "I know. I like it."

"Well," I drawled, "I doubt the other patrons will appreciate it as much as you." Thank god it was so dark in here. Sloan may have been anonymous, but I sure as shit wasn't.

"Then it's a good thing I rented a room for the night," she informed me.

It felt like time stood still as I took in those words, her wanton expression. Sloan had booked a room so she could get me alone.

I hadn't minded hearing her with Avery and Reed the last few nights, but the fact that we'd be truly alone made whatever was on the horizon feel more intimate. I'm sure we'd all find our rhythm together. Right now though, it felt a bit competitive in the bedroom, and I didn't want to think about anyone judging my performance. I just wanted to live in the moment with her.