Chapter 54

POV: Sumner

I could tell something was wrong the moment I woke up. My mother and her mother and her mother's mother had a spiritual intuition I'd never personally experienced until now. Something was wrong. I felt it in every fiber of my being.

I bolted out of bed and went in search of the guys, who of course weren't in their beds or the gym or kitchen or security area.

I cursed as I returned to my room and found a note on the floor behind the door.

What the fuck had they done?

My heart sank as I tore open the envelope and unfolded the letter, instantly recognizing Reed's half-legible doctor scrawl.

Sum,
I know you won't agree with our decision, but we had to make sure she was okay. D's mind was also made up, and I couldn't let him go to the club alone tonight. If we're not back by 2 am, something went terribly wrong. Don't come looking for us. Help Mr. Dawson save Sloan. She needs you.
Love,
Reed

Those stupid, stupid bastards. How could they be so idiotic?

I checked my phone and saw that it was almost 2:30 am now. There was also a message from Deacon, and I promptly opened it.

One of Murphy's goons intercepted us. Sloan is still with him. Help her.

The message had been sent less than fifteen minutes ago, so I called Deacon's phone. Maybe they'd been delayed and were about to stroll through the front door.

It went straight to voicemail. My skin prickled. The feeling of unease grew.

I sent off a few texts and kept calling as I found Mr. Dawson's bedroom. The  guard out front pointed his gun at me, and I held my hands up.

"Ay yo. Don't shoot, dude. It's Sumner Batiste." I'd seen this guy several times so I hoped he realized that I wasn't a threat. And soon.

A glimmer of recognition shone in his brown eyes. "You're one of Sloan's boyfriends? The musician, right?"

Not exactly what I'd expected him to say, but at least he hadn't referred to me as just her friend or some whack-ass shit.

"Uh, yeah. Listen, I know it's late, but I need to speak with Mr. Dawson right now. It's an emergency."

He lowered the weapon and stepped aside. "I hope that's true for your sake, lad, because he doesn't like bein' disturbed in the middle of the night."

Great.

"Yeah, I completely get that, but it's an emergency involving Sloan."

"Christ," he swore. "What are ya waitin' for?"

My fist pounded on the thick door. "Mr. Dawson! It's Sumner. I need to speak with you right away. We've got a big problem. It can't wait."

A gave him a moment to respond. Less than a minute later, he yanked the door open.

"Sorry to disturb you, sir, but Avery, Reed, and Deacon are missing. They left a note about going to the club Sloan would be at tonight and a disconcerting text. I think Murphy has them, and Sloan's life is in jeopardy."

"Oh, is that all?" he asked dryly as he stepped out of the room. He hadn't bothered changing out of his pajamas and robe. He shook his head, looking mad as hell. I didn't blame him one bit. I was pretty livid myself. "To the security room. Quickly."

He stayed silent during the brisk walk, too angry or tired or preoccupied to speak. Once we reached the security room, we sat side by side before the row of monitors, not bothering to use the projector since it was just the two of us.