Chapter 34

POV: Avery

"Ouch," Deacon complained when I punched him in the face. He rubbed his jaw, preparing to square off with me again. The blow I'd landed would've knocked a normal man out cold, but D was a goddamn tank.

"This place is insane," Sumner remarked from the sidelines. "A gym, a heated pool, a boat launch inside a cave—I'm starting to think Sloan's dad might be Bruce Wayne or some shit."

"It definitely has secret lair vibes," I admitted as I side-stepped Deacon's next offensive attack. He was dragging ass today, and I had no qualms about taking advantage of it. I caught him in the ribs, and he grunted. "Long night?" I teased.

The sounds coming from Sloan's room had been largely muffled by the stone walls, but I still heard plenty of what had gone down.

I swept D's legs out from under him, and he landed roughly on his back, rolling out of the way just before my foot stomped the mat where his head had been.

"No need to be jealous, Avery. Our little minx is insatiable," he teased, picking himself up from the floor. He grinned widely now as he circled me. I moved with him, preventing him from attacking from behind. "Sloan took me and Reed like a pro. I'm sure she'd fit you in now if you want."

"Don't tempt me." Using my forearms to block my face, I winced as D repeatedly pummeled me with those giant meat tenderizers he called fists. Dude was stacked like a brick house.

"Well, why shouldn't you?" Deacon raised his hands in surrender and stood to his full height then. "You've been working your ass off, investigating all of this shit and making arrangements for Misha. You deserve some QT, too."

Ever since I'd learned about The Collectors, I'd been single-mindedly focused on uncovering their secrets, on protecting Sloan as best I could. That information was important, of course, but so was my relationship with Sloan. And I hadn't been nurturing it the way I should.

"You know what?" I walked over to where Reed stood and bent down to retrieve my water bottle. "I might actually take you up on your offer, D."

"Bout fuckin' time," Reed exclaimed. When I shot him a quizzical look, he continued, "It's okay to be selfish sometimes, Avery. In fact, it's healthy. If this quintet shit is going to work, you have to stop being such a doting, respectful poet and stake your claim from time to time."

"Geeze. Tell me how you really feel, Reed," I replied dryly, folding my arms across my sweat-slick chest. Damn, why the hell was everyone going in on me for being a decent human being? "May I also remind y'all that I was the first one to taste Sloan?"

"You're also the last one to go all the way with her," Deacon pointed out.

I suddenly hated that we never kept secrets from each other. I was painfully aware that Sloan and I hadn't completed that finite act yet. Still, I couldn't bring myself to push her. I cared about her. Deeply.

"As the only self-identified poly person here, I second what Reed just said," Sumner chirped.

I snorted. "Of fucking course, you do."

Sum ignored me as he added, "Sorry, man, but you need to hear this. The only way this relationship works is if everyone feels satisfied."

"I know you feel the need to put everyone's needs above your own," Reed pushed. "I know you want to give Sloan space, that you don't want to trigger her PTSD, but I promise you, she wants everything we throw at her. She's ready."

I laugh mirthlessly then. "Glad y'all feel so confident she isn't going to try and run off again."

"You don't?" Sumner probed, sable brows climbing his forehead. "What makes you say that?"