Chapter 21

POV: Sloan

New Orleans was by far the most vibrant city I'd ever lived in. Most buildings in the French Quarter had stood here longer than my ancestors had been in America, had stood here longer than America itself.

A wild, whimsical sort of energy permeated every inch of this place. It felt like the culmination of old ghosts and new beginnings, like I could be anyone I wanted while honoring my past.

Beneath the music, costumes, and amazing food, though, was heart.

Perfect strangers said hi to each other on the street like it was normal, their funerals were celebrated with parades and live music, and they threw hurricane parties, even after everything they'd endured.

I felt like I knew something about that.

Sumner licked the powdered sugar from my mouth, bringing me back to reality, and I laughed.

If there was a lady-like way to eat beignets, I certainly hadn't figured it out yet. I looked down at my short, teal halter dress and scowled. Clumps of white doused the front of my outfit. My scowl deepened as I peered at Sum and saw that his outfit was pristine.

"What sorcery is this?" I demanded, gesturing at his clothes. Loud enough to embarrass him, I then shouted, "Grab thine pitchforks, ye folk of good faith. This man be a witch!"

The tables were cramped close together, and several tourist families mean-mugged us. Well, me.

"I be a warlock, if you wanna get technical about it." He shook his head at me, eyes brimming with mirth. "I missed that sense of humor of yours, Sloan. You know, you could have a really promising career as a Rennie."

"What the hell is a Rennie?"

"Someone who works at the Renaissance festival."

"And you know that why?"

Sumner blushed then. "I may have been on the cast a few years."

"You're lying." It was such an eccentric hobby that I had no doubt he was being honest right now. Still, I couldn't help ribbing him a little over it. I cupped my hand around my mouth, amplifying my voice as I said, "Nerd alert!"

That earned us a few more scathing looks from nearby bystanders. I didn't care though.

He sighed, ignoring my taunts. "So do you want to know how to eat that or what?"

Oh right. That's how this whole public shaming thing had started. "Spill the tea."

"The trick is not to breathe when taking a bite and to keep your mouth shut until you swallow."

I waggled my brows suggestively at him. "Oh, I'm pretty awesome at keeping my mouth shut until I swallow."

"Sloan..." Sumner warned, hazel eyes abruptly simmering.

My hand drifted dangerously close to his crotch beneath the table as I pouted. "What's wrong, Daddy? Did I make you mad?" I batted my lashes at him with mock innocence. "I probably deserve a spanking now, don't I?"

"Shit." He groaned, closing his eyes briefly like he was trying to regain control of himself. "Keep talking like that, love, and I'll have to punish you later."

"Is that a fact?" I challenged him.

The quiet yet bemused control he exuded now made my core heat. "It's a promise, sunshine."

We decided to get out of Cafe du Monde and away from the judgy families, taking one last lap around the cathedral.

Finally, when the sun began to set, Sumner brought me to the Hotel Monteleone. Outside, there were doormen dressed in pristine uniforms. The guests entering and exiting appeared even more bougie than the staff with their designer luggage and formal wear.