Chapter 38

POV: Sumner

I blinked as something burrowed into my chest. A big lopsided smile formed on my lips as I looked down at Sloan. I didn't even mind that she was drooling like crazy.

A song was already writing itself in my head. The melody had started subtly from the moment she walked into the house on St. Charles Avenue. Now, it was a thunderous roar. I wanted to write it down, but I didn't have access to a studio or even a smartphone. Plus, I didn't want to disturb Sloan or the others while they were still sleeping deeply and peacefully. Still, it was all I could do not to reach between Sloan's legs and wake her with another round of orgasms.

Last night had been incredible. She'd been breathtaking in her beauty and voracity, eager to please and be pleased. More than that, though, I'd felt whole for the first time in my life. I thought I'd felt it that first night when Sloan and I had made love in the hotel room, but I'd been wrong. Every time I was with her, it became more.

I could picture the five of us doing this every night for the rest of our lives. Not just the marathon sex but also combat training sessions or going to the pool or staying in to make dinner and watch movies. For the first time in my life, I saw a long-term future that made me genuinely happy, and I was proud of this relationship, unconventional as it was. I wanted to shout about it from the rooftops.

Sloan stirred slightly but didn't wake as Deacon unconsciously squeezed her waist in his sleep. I loved seeing her comfortable and adored. Loved seeing how happy everyone was.

However, I knew the bubble would eventually burst. We couldn't hide out here forever. We had to face the music eventually and get our lives back. I still had no idea how we'd take on such a formidable enemy and their endless resources, but the guys and I needed to form a plan of action before she did something stupid. I had a feeling her father had some ideas in that regard.

I began to untangle myself from her when an urgent knock came from the double doors to the bedroom. I managed to cover Sloan's naked form just before a burly bodyguard entered the room. Her eyes fluttered open and widened as they met mine.

The man cleared his throat, his cheeks turning pink as he took in the sight of us in bed together. "Pardon the intrusion, but it's time-sensitive. Mr. Dawson needs to see the five of you in the main room now."

My pulse galloped at those words. What the hell could possibly be so important that it couldn't wait for Sloan to wake up? Nothing good sprang to mind.

As the only one who was fully lucid, I answered, "We'll be there in a few minutes. We need to get dressed."

The guard nodded before leaving, closing the doors behind him. Then I helped Sloan off the bed. Avery was already there with her clothes, dressing her before himself. Reed quickly brushed the tangles from her mussed hair.

Once everyone was decent, we left, walking the long hallway in heavy silence. There was a spread of tea, coffee, sugar, and cream on the coffee table when we arrived. Sloan's father was already sitting on the end of the long sectional, his shoulders and face tense as he looked up from the laptop resting on his thighs.

"What's wrong?" she asked, immediately leaving us to sit next to him.

He looked over his reading glasses at her. "I don't know how to ask this in a tactful way, so I'll just come out with it."

God, that definitely didn't sound good.

The four of us took a seat, settling into the plush furniture. Everyone appeared on edge as we waited to hear what was going on.

Mr. Dawson's serious green eyes met his daughter's. "Did you and Avery have...relations on the boat yesterday?"

Heat splashed her high cheekbones. For once, snarky Sloan was at a loss for words. I was, too. True or not, what the hell did one even say to that?