two

CHAPTER TWO: pond thieves and player snatchers

          If you walked far enough, past the snow covered trees and the rocks that had been covered in moss over the years, there was a pond.

the first time andrea had gone to the pond, she was terrified. she didn't know how strong the ice was; there was a good chance she'd fall straight through.

but as she took her first step, and then her second, andrea's fear slipped away.

that was two years ago, and andrea still loved her pond. she rarely went anymore, because she practiced almost every day with her team. there wasn't a need for extra training time.

even though she didn't need any more practice, she still found herself at the pond. it couldn't hurt to skate a little, and clear her mind, right?

as she got closer, she realized there was someone else on the ice. she frowned- this was her pond! she had found it! not once had she ever seen anyone else here.

whoever it was, they were clad in what looked like brand new hockey equipment, and a green jersey.

she stood at the base of the pond, yet to be noticed. she cupped her hands around her mouth as she called out. "hey!"

the person turned to face her, and she groaned as she realized it was none other than charlie conway. he stood straighter as he saw her, skating over.

"hey, jones. what are you doing at my pond? come to see me?" he asked, taking his helmet off.

she crossed her arms, a look of shock and anger forming on her face. "your pond? this is my pond!"

he grinned. "i don't think so. i've been coming here for years, and i've never seen you."

"i've been coming here for years too! you can't just claim it as your own."

charlie made a show of looking around. "i don't see your name on it. you have skates on. you gonna skate or what?"

andrea scoffed. "no way, not if you're here. im going home."

he shrugged. "suit yourself."

she turned away, taking a few steps before stopping. she'd come all the way here in the freezing cold, was she really going to leave because of some stupid boy?

she turned back, stepping onto the ice, skating around but keeping her distance from charlie, though it didn't matter. he skated over to her side, attempting to keep up with her.

"i knew it." he mumbled.

she shouldered him, sending him wobbling, but he managed to stay on his feet. "shut up, conway. why don't you skate on that end?" she glanced at him, reading the front of his new jersey. "the ducks? really?"