twenty-two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: there is no 'we'

no 'we'

          Andrea stood outside of charlie's door, anxiously fiddling with her fingers. perhaps it was because she'd never had to dress nicely around charlie; they were either dressed in sweaty hockey equipment or lazy school outfits.

she was dressed in a silver dress that went down to her mid thigh. it was the only 'nice' piece of clothing she really had. her hair was curled, quite nicely for her first time curling her own hair. she had a sliver necklace around her neck, resting against her collarbone.

as the door swung open, casey conway stood on the other side. her hands flew to her mouth as she saw andrea, gasping. "oh, andrea! you look beautiful!" she gushed, placing a hand on the girls back as she guided her inside.

"thank you, casey." andrea said. the woman had insisted she call she casey instead of ms. conway.

"charlie's just finishing up in the shower, if you want to go wait in his room. i'll knock and let him know you're here."

andrea nodded, making her way to charlie's room. his room looked like that of any teenage sports fan, with posters and hockey cards and jerseys thrown around.

she'd been here before, but every time she couldn't help but smile because it was just so charlie.

she sat down on his bed that was partially covered with a navy blue duvet, from which you could tell he had half-heartedly made his bed that morning.

not too long after, charlie waltzed into the room, clad in a white tank top and a pair of shorts. he had a towel in hand that he was using to harshly dry his hair. he stopped as he looked at her, grinning and dropping the towel.

"well, now i feel underdressed." he joked, his eyes scanning her up and down.

she rolled her eyes at him, crossing her arms uncomfortably. she almost felt embarrassed being so dressed up, even though she knew she'd be even more embarrassed if she'd shown up to the fancy restaurant in a t-shirt.

"you better plan on wearing something nicer than those shorts, charlie." she teased, finally looking up and meeting his eyes.

well, she tried to meet his eyes. it was hard when his arms were exposed, his hair wet and messy as he looked right back at her. he grinned, sitting beside her on the bed. "relax. i have a suit. i'll wear that."

they sat for a moment, silently looking each other over. she hadn't realized how close they were sitting.

he reached over, brushing a piece of hair behind her ear. "that hair took a long time, charlie." she jokingly warned.

"you look good," he said, his hand resting on the back of her head. "you always look good."

his eyes were focused on her lips, and she could feel her heart racing. his voice was so quiet she barely even heard it, some kind of desperation in it.